• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Desperate for information

Ljk

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi guys so here it goes

Please help me
I have always wanted to have an octopus but have never had the chance and now I can I need to know everything that there is to know in the ins and outs I have about a 30 gallon tank but I am ablemto buy bigger if needed please can you advise on the following 1 what would be the best breed to start with (I appreciate that they are all a little challenging ) 2 what gravity do you recommend and temp of the water
3 is there any thing that youmcan keepmwith my little 8legged friend
And what would be the best size power head to have if there is any thing that youmfeelmi should knowmplease let me know and help turn my dream into reality? Much appreciated.

Hey Ljk. I don't have my octo yet as you've seen on the other thread but have picked up some info so far. A 30g tank is too small for the usual octopus seen in the uk and too big for the dwarfs. I have mainly found Vulgaris available for order and they are suited to a 60g+, the biggest importer around here is TMC who currently have wonderpus/mimic which they are calling zebra, by all counts this isn't easy to keep and best avoided.
Do you have any saltwater experience so far? I've been keeping reef tanks for a few years and have found it a rather steep learning curve.
Here's a nice article to get you started - Octopus as pets

thank you :smile: i have been learining off of here and a few other places but i can seem to find exact information that i need or want I am deffo going to have a good look through as much as i can, i have a couple of years experience under my belt and i have mat dip in animal and marine care so i have a fair understanding.

I have been looking at the mimic's however being my first i think that they are a little out of my league at this time, i really wanted a blue ringged but i know that this is not possible or a sensible choice, I am deffinatley looking at a bimac to be honest.
I think i just need to be pointed in the right direction and fingers crossed i dont want to hurt this intelligent beautiful creature.

can you keep anythng with them as i have been told so many different things it is hard to know what to belive anymore.

Thank you guys i really appreciate this

I read a lovely quote last week - It is assumed, and quite logically so, that an octopus will eat any companion fish in the aquarium. This may not always be the case; a well-fed and happy octopus may very well allow fellow marine fish to live in peace. This should never be mistaken for anything other than the choice of the octopus. Always assume that other animals in the aquarium are living only at the mercy of the octopus.
I think that sums it up rather well!
Maidenhead aquatics can get a two spot octopus which is probably a bimac, although I have seen a few other species called the same, may be best to phone your nearest one to see. They're selling them for roughly £70. Blue ring is definitely possible, they are readily available in this country, but obviously it's ability to kill you makes it a less than desirable pet!
I also assume you've seen this - Bimac care sheet

Be VERY careful to find out where a two spot comes from. We have two animals on this side of the pond :biggrin2: with similar looking eye spots but the temperature requirements are significantely different. The bimacs are cold water species from the Pacific and the hummelincki (similar in photos but quite different looking in life) are warm water Caribbean animals. Both make good pets (except the female hummelincki seems to brood in about 2 weeks and sadly they are a small egg species).

For a general feel for the different species, visit the List of Our Octopuses 20xx threads located at the top of the Octopus Care Forum. From 2008 on, the lists include links to the journals.

thats brilliant that you guys !!! i think that i will have alook and see what i can get i really do want a blue ringged but i think i will pass at this time however I will deffo be looking at bimacs.
i have been offered a 100G tank but am i right in being led to understand that this is too big for a bimac?? i dont want the little guy to be stressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back