• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

denitrater

hi i made a denitrater out of a pvc pipe w/air line running down the pipe w/a slow drip. it got my nitrates down from 100ppm to 20 ppm. with aslow drip. my macropus died and im wondering if the slow drip out of the denitrater has any harmful gases or anything like that. he died so quick. but i should also mention i should of said this first i lost my brierius after only 2 months. i did not have the denitrater on at that time. some people said that there might be traces of copper in the tank i bought used . and i bought a tidepool wet-dry used but i did scrub them out first.i used the tide pool on my bimac tank for 6 months before getting a different one for the bimac and hes fine.both the brierius and the macropus died in the same way. and both lived in the same tank. not at the same time.anyone have any ideas?maybe i could try scrubbing the tank and wet-dry w/something that will nutrilize copper?thanks jimmy

I'm sorry Jimmy but copper is near impossible to neutralise or scrub out. believe me we would if we could, the cost of replacing the linings and fittings on a 3000L 70 year old tank (as it was then it's now 77 or so) was astronomical!

J

I am confused. Were all three kept in the same tank?

The denitrator isn't killing the cephs. Cephs aren't necessarily easy to keep, and they could have died for a billion reasons.

Two were in the same tank but not at the same time. I still think that 100 ppm nitrates probably affected the health of your octopus. Even at 20 ppm the nitrates were still high for a cephalopod.

Was the bimac in the same tank or a different tank?
I don't know about the nitrates, mine has been pretty high in the past and doesn't seem to bother them at all.

denitrater

thanks everyone for you input. no the bimac was not in the same tank i used the wet-dry on the bimac tank and the tufa rock w/ the bimac. then i took the wet-dry out for the brierius and the tufa rocks out of the bimac tank not all like half. the rocks and wet dry went in a used 55 gal and the tidepool (wet-dry)was used.i had the brierius for about 2 months and died he was full grown so i just thought he died from age. then i put the macropus in that tank. the nitrates were still at 100ppm. the denitrater droped them to 20ppm with in 2weeks. i had the mac. for about 1 month and died too. he was a baby one he ate like a pig 2 days before he died. i feed him frozen shrimp defrosted.i seen him on the glass in the morning breathing heavy and pale just like the brierius. the water test were perfect and always used reverse osmosis water. i dont know what went wrong?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back