• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Definitive List

Ive just had a mega scary moment and thought i best post and ask the question, i dont intend on using a canister/internal/external filter as opposed to almost everyone.

Here is my list of items, would anyone have any concerns with this???

Much appreciated in advance :smile:

Live Rock
Aragonite sand

Mech Filter - Filter floss on grate
carbon in media bag
Skimmer
Refugium - Prob cheatomorpha algae with bristle worms etc
phosphate reactor - Product name Phosban Reactor (same as Deltec
FR509 really just a bit smaller)

Have i missed something major??? Many Thanks!!! :biggrin2:

Hello Nancy,

Hope you well :biggrin2:

yeah sorry, got an eheim 1262 doin the sump - tank, which is 3500ltrs per hour an my tank is about 272 ltrs so that should be fine.

Was thinkin about a powerhead in the tank but wanted to avoid the worries of a blended octo, which is why i posted the post the other day. hhhmmm deliberations deliberations!!! :lol:

Anything else do you reckon??

Well, you're going to need some small accessories. Seashells are a nice adition. Something to clean the algae with, like a magnet cleaner and a scraper. Test kits to measure nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. Something to measure the pH with (I'd recommend a pH meter) and the sg or salinity. (refractometer, for instance). Jugs and buckets for water. Netting or mesh to cover outlets with...you get the idea!

Are we getting close to octopus time?

Nancy

Cheers Nancy!!!

hey hey we certainly are gettin close!!! well in terms of the tank bein wet, cycling and then me getting used to the general running of it prior to order (tryin to avoid as many mistakes as poss- -big learnin curve!! :lol: )

Ive basically redesigned my ideas on the whole tank twice now, so yes ive planned all out just need to now....

re-plumb my pipework
get glass partitions cut for sump and silicone in
reorganise sealing top of tank

Then once done i can go forth in plan of attack and order my live rock and cycle (very soon), the only prob i have at the mo is whether i get it running now or straight after christmas, as im struggling to find a mate near by who can pop in and empty my skimmer cup etc

so may be wise to wait until after christmas when i will definetly be there all the time, ponder ponder...

got a cleaner
test kits ive gotta order a load next week (found an amazin deal!!!)
got a couple of hydrometers and will borrow mates refractometer for short term
jugs and buckets will get soon and mate is going to sort RO/DI water for me

so very close and am on the last straight (he says a year after buying the tank!!!) :smile: :smile: :smile:

also may have found someone to ship the little fella instead of organising licences myself etc good an bad - was lookin forward to the challenge!!!

cheers mate!!!

now fluidising carbon in reactor ( same type using for Rowaphos) as opposed to media bag. found a great deal on a reactor which would you have it comes from a place called 2littlefishies.com or something in the U.S. !!!!

ITs called a phosban reactor, dunno why all you folks over there dont do this kinda thing you get better results than stickin your carbon in a media bag or canister filter.

any thoughts???

phosban is a good brand i think - not that i have loked into it that deeply - the price in australia scared me away!!!

i have carbon just sitting next to the intake pump i the sump but you might get better flow in a canister??

yeah, get better flow in a canister but you have to change it much more often and unnecessarily than you would in a reactor.

Ive gone for the two little fishies reactor as its fine for my size tank and a third od the cost of its competitors over here.

Out of intrest Oscar....How often do you change your carbon, how much (ml/g) do you use in the bag (supose you plonk it in a media bag?) and whats your gallonage??

Hi Scouse!

Been enjoying reading your progress. Here's a thought....How about a simple bubble filter with only carbon in it? That's what I use. Run by an airpump. Very simple and easy to change.

Carol

i am just experimenting a bit with carbon at the moment

yeah its just in a bag

i have a 600 litre set up and only 1 large bag of carbon

i didnt want it to take out all the iodine i put in but i wanted it to help a bit too -!!! :bugout:

ahhh!

it seems to be going ok at the moment - the water has cleared up a bit - smells gone

Hi Scouse!

Been enjoying reading your progress. Here's a thought....How about a simple bubble filter with only carbon in it? That's what I use. Run by an airpump. Very simple and easy to change.

Carol - Thanks sounds like a nifty little trick :thumbsup: although ive not long bought my reactor, so will go with that for the mo.

Progress has been slow but since i hadnt even thought of saltwater tanks a year and a half ago and only have had goldfish when i was a kid :lol: (and the one i inherited a few months ago!!) :lol: i think my knowledge is quite rounded, or gettin there!! might have to do a few bank jobs to pay for the electricity thou :shock: !!!

Well no point doin it if i dont provide it a proper home to worship it in :notworth:

Oscar - You'll have to let us know how your experimenting goes and how much you reckon you use, i'd be intrested. :madsci:

How much do you reckon you get in a large bag?? You changing it weekly?

Nice one :biggrin2:

No way!!! i cant afford to change it every week - the guy said once a month or two should be ok

the bag is about 12 " x 8"

dunno how much it is helping and how much iodine etc it is taking out - cant hurt too much so i figure ill just keep goin

im gradually adding another 80kg of calcium carbonate grit to my tank to get a deep sand bed going - my plenum kept getting disturbed!!

do you know how much of a pain it is moving all the corals and rock to one side of the tank to put in the substrate while a stupid three striped damsel viciously attacks your hand - then the blood from that attracts the wrasse which doesnt leave you alone!!! AHHHHHH im going crazy!! :bugout:

well itll be over soon - and ill trading in the fish that came with the tank for a nice cuttle!!!

do you know how much of a pain it is moving all the corals and rock to one side of the tank to put in the substrate while a stupid three striped damsel viciously attacks your hand - then the blood from that attracts the wrasse which doesnt leave you alone!!! AHHHHHH im going crazy!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back