Deep sea cephalopods poster

Great to hear that it has that deep underwater feel to it! Thanks Nancy!!

During the painting i learned about this lighting phenomena called "subsurface scattering". Due to the nature of the skin of an octopus (partially translucent) light doesn't just bounce of it's surface but it also bounces back and forth within the octopus itself which is why it needs this particular shading. I think I have to get better at this to make it more realistic, I am learning a lot of it at least :smile:
Now working at a Violet Blanket Octopus, which will be a great species for training this way of painting light

Haha good to hear DWhatley, i will keep posting as i go along! I also can't wait to have a print of the final poster :P
actually thinking about getting some funding through something like kickstarter to speed up the process, but even then it would take me plenty of time so don't worry it'll be a while for sure :P

Great and thanks Mark!
I'm going tot try to get this funded by some website soon, keep you posted.
In the meanwhile i've been working on this Violet Blanket Octopus, it's quite a challenge with the blanket part. If you have feedback i'd love to hear it!

Tremoctopus by Joery Verweij.jpg

Wow! Was worried about the long break. Great to see you are still working on these and happy to signal boost when you do go for funding. There's a real dearth in ceph sci-art so there's museums, aquaria and zoos that would likely snap these up!

With my work hat on also, you thought about an exhibition...?

Don't worry i will finish this project for sure!
And thanks for the help you're offering for a signal boost, this will be great for getting some more awareness for the project!

An exhibition would indeed be awesome, i think i need a bit more cephs to set up an expo but the original drawings are very large and detailed. So that's definitely a cool possibility for in the nearby future!

Here's another one, dosidicus gigas, the humbolt!
Dosidicus gigas by Joery Verweij.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back