Deep sea cephalopods poster

Thanks DWhatley, nice to hear! I also enjoy it very much, such beautiful animals to draw!

@GPO87 Thanks for asking I am doing great, I am still working on new images. But business is good so squid drawing is a bit slow at the moment :P I have been working on several cephs at the same time though.

I've been working on this Flapjack Octopus lately, it still needs some final detailing but im struggeling whith what those details could be. Maybe lighter shadows on his arms in the back? Or more translucent webs between the arms? If you have any ideas i'd love to hear them! :
flapjack octopus-by Joery Verweij.jpg

Thanks Jean and GPO! Great to hear, i'm still working on the rest of it's body, hope it can match up to the fins!

I'm also working on the Taningia Danae. I almost can't believe this animal actually exists with its lemon sized biolumenescent organs, hooks in stead of suckers and a size of up to 2,3 meters, awesome animal!
It's very difficult to get it's physicality right though, any tips? I'm curious what you thi
Taningia danae by joery verweij.jpg
nk of it

Great stuff again Bonjoer!

I work with Taningia (dead unfortunately, not living) but for living representations I'd say these two videos best represent what I've seen in preserved specimens.

This one gives you lots of steady closeup on the front half of the animal. Just note that the eye is quite constricted here due to the bright light. The location of the eye I'd say is a little forward in your image, maybe try a tiny bit more space between it and the start of the arms.

(Taningia starts at 2:06)

This one shows the body posture the animal takes while flashing really well. The weird thing is that the second arms are actually the shortest, so it is really extending them out during this encounter. Otherwise the first and fourth arms are longest, and they're about equal. Lastly, the arm hooks are a lot closer together than in your image, usually about 30 pairs per arm.

But this is just being really picky. Your image is really good, and I like that you included the 'U'-shaped notch at the dorsal anterior fin-mantle attachment. And love the Opisthoteuthis.

Hi Main Board,

Wow must be awesome to research Taningia's, I envy your job! Thanks for these videos and tips! I like that your picky, i want to get the visuals as accurate as i possibly can. I will revise my Taningia sketch when i can.

@ Muckoctopus: Thanks for the tip i will defenitly try to contact Stephanie for more information overall.

In the meanwhile i've been working on a Gonatus Fabricci, i used some colours based on the only video i could find of it. Curious what you think of it.

Thanks again for all the responses and help with my project you guys, it's very motivating to keep working on it. I'll post again soon!

Attachments

• Gonatus_Fabricii_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg
    Gonatus_Fabricii_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 557
Hi Mark,

Thanks glad you like it, and nice that it has such a nostalgic value for you! I also ove the Time Life books, great quality.

Here's an other one i've been working on, a Megalocranchia, this one is a translucent squid that can grow to a total length of about 2,5 meters. This one is very challenging because the only photo references i could find were of juveniles which look quite different than adults. I had to base this on carcasses and some schematic scientific drawings so if anyone has a tip on how to get it more accurate that would be great!
Megalocranchia_fisheri_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg

Thanks Jean and Nancy, glad you like it!

Here is another one, a Megaleledone Setebos. This octopus is found in Antarctic seas up to a depth of 500 meters and can reach a total length of about one meter. Apparently it has poisonous saliva which even works in subfreezing temperatures!

It was again quite hard to find a lot of information on this species (for example how many suckers it has on each arm and other specific features). Any tips/feedback on how i can get it more accurate are much appreciated!

Megaleledone_Setebos_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back