Deep sea cephalopods poster

thanks Tonmo! Good idea i'm going to share the thread on my facebook as well.

As for the technique is use; they are painted digitally on a Wacom Cintiq tablet.
I design them on paper, scan them and then color them digitally. Thought about making them with acrylic or oil paint (wich would be the most beautiful) but that would be too time consuming. Especially since i have 105 more Cephalopods to paint for the entire poster :nyah:

Very interesting technique! Your images almost look airbrushed - I really like the result. You have such a large number of Cephalopods to draw and paint, although your digital process should speed them along. How long does it take to complete each one?

It would be interesting to experiment with one painting in oil or acrylics and compare the result to the digital painting- after you've finished your big project, of course.

All the best in this ambitious undertaking!

Nancy

Thanks Nancy!

Yea it would defenitly be nice to make some squids and octopusses using various techniques, great idea! :smile:

A digital painting takes around 4 hours to complete usually, although the Giant Squid took me more like 7 hours.
So i guess it varies per animal.
So still lots of hours to go. But i'll keep on it, cant wait to see them all together in one poster/chart! :smile:

Joery

Hey Bonjoer!
More great pictures! I really like your galiteuthis! It's quite accurate. You may want to consider adding some light producing organs onto the bottom of the eye, as those are a very prominent feature of that particular squid. But you have definitely captured the essence of a cockatoo squid! Excellent work!

GaliteuthisWide.jpg

Can't wait to see more amazing images!

Hey GPO87,

Great to hear the Galiteuthis is accurate and all!
And nice reference pic by the way, thanks for the info on the light producing organs! Do you know if they have the light producing organs in other parts of their bodies as well? In your picture it looks like it has some inside it's body too.

This is a Colossal Squid (Mesonychoteuthis Hamiltoni) i've been working on. Pretty hard to get it accurate, there's a lot of contradicting info on them. Curious what you think!
Colossal_Squid_(Mesonychoteuthis_hamiltoni)_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg

Hi Bonjoer,

Wow, these are awesome! The Meso looks really good overall... I would just suggest a circular pupil rather than ovate as shown above. If you are interested, a recent review article includes a table of all known ceph genera with deep-sea representatives. If you can't get it online, I can send it to you if you PM me your email address.

Hi Tintenfisch,

Thanks for the compliments and feedback! And for the tip on the eyes of the Meso, i'll definitely edit that. I was also thinking about making the eye a little smaller, i'll post the updated version soon. And i will send you my mail, i'm very interested in that article you mentioned. Sounds exactly like what i need!

The reflections from inside the Galiteuthis are beleived to be parasites living on the gills. As far as we know, it doesn't have any internal light organs. (There is only one species of glass squid that has those, Megalocranchia. (But it's harder to find reference pictures of that one).

Your Mesonychoteuthis also looks quite nicely scaled. You're right, this is an impossible one to get accurate, as so little is known about it. But you have done really good work on this one! :smile:

How cool that Megalocranhia is the only one with internal light organs! Looking forward to making that one! Thanks for the info on the light and reflections, i'm now trying to adjust the Galiteuthis accordingly.
And thanks for your comment on the Meso, nice to hear!

I've also been working on the Magnapinna, curious what you think!
Magnapinna_pacifica_(Bigfin_Squid)_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg
:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back