Deep sea cephalopods poster

Bonjoer

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi everyone,

I started an ambitious project, just for fun. But i am kind of stuck i'n some ways and looking for some good advice.

I'm making a poster/chart with all of the cephalopods i could find that live below a depth of 200 meters in the ocean. My goal is to paint them as photo realistic as I can, as thought they where photographed in white light to light the scene. But i find it really hard to find much information, let alone visual material, of the animals.

Can anyone recommend me a good reliable source of information?

One of my questions for example would be;

We've always found carcasses of the Giant Squid (Architeuthis Dux) with an obvious red color. But in the first ever footage of the giant it appeared to have a metallic look of silver and golden hues.

How is this possible? And could it apply to other species which haven't been filmen in the wild as well?

I'd appreciaty any help, thanks
and i'll upload one of the finished squid drawings when i can

Here's on i'm working at, but it's still a work in progress:
foto.JPG

Have a look as some of the videos that the Monterey Bay Aquarium is posting of the deep water animals they have been able to place in their special display tank for the new Tentacles exhibit. The link has all (I think) their postings since the exhibit opened but you may also find more on their YouTube channel (you can use any of the videos posted in the link to find their channel).

Additionally the Smithsonian released a bunch of videos in 2012/2013 that might be helpful. TONMO posted a link in this thread that might keep you busy for awhile :sagrin:

Love the one you posted. I hope you will post more!!!!!

Hey thanks guys, awesome!
Great advice of the Montery Bay Aquarium exhibit, i've seen most of their videos, they're great and also exactly the kind of reference i need, but this exhibit sound very interesting as well! and thanks for the video thread. I'll get into it soon and try n post more squids :smile:

Your first image looks great! Very nice Pholidoteuthis. I usually put a good picture of the cephs (alive) on the "Cephalopod species: by family" forums. If you are needing some inspiration, you could take a flick through there. Many of the families I focus on live below 200 meters! :smile: Hope some of my previous posts can help you!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back