Deep sea cephalopods poster

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks glad you like it, and nice that it has such a nostalgic value for you! I also ove the Time Life books, great quality.

Here's an other one i've been working on, a Megalocranchia, this one is a translucent squid that can grow to a total length of about 2,5 meters. This one is very challenging because the only photo references i could find were of juveniles which look quite different than adults. I had to base this on carcasses and some schematic scientific drawings so if anyone has a tip on how to get it more accurate that would be great!
Megalocranchia_fisheri_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jean and Nancy, glad you like it!

Here is another one, a Megaleledone Setebos. This octopus is found in Antarctic seas up to a depth of 500 meters and can reach a total length of about one meter. Apparently it has poisonous saliva which even works in subfreezing temperatures!

It was again quite hard to find a lot of information on this species (for example how many suckers it has on each arm and other specific features). Any tips/feedback on how i can get it more accurate are much appreciated!

Megaleledone_Setebos_by_Joery_Verweij.jpg

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Great to hear that it has that deep underwater feel to it! Thanks Nancy!!

During the painting i learned about this lighting phenomena called "subsurface scattering". Due to the nature of the skin of an octopus (partially translucent) light doesn't just bounce of it's surface but it also bounces back and forth within the octopus itself which is why it needs this particular shading. I think I have to get better at this to make it more realistic, I am learning a lot of it at least :)
Now working at a Violet Blanket Octopus, which will be a great species for training this way of painting light

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I REALLY want a copy of this when it is finished BUT I am enjoying the process so much that I hope it will be awhile :nyah:

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Haha good to hear DWhatley, i will keep posting as i go along! I also can't wait to have a print of the final poster :P
actually thinking about getting some funding through something like kickstarter to speed up the process, but even then it would take me plenty of time so don't worry it'll be a while for sure :P

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan37

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards