Deep sea cephalopods poster

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks DWhatley, nice to hear! I also enjoy it very much, such beautiful animals to draw!

@GPO87 Thanks for asking I am doing great, I am still working on new images. But business is good so squid drawing is a bit slow at the moment :P I have been working on several cephs at the same time though.

I've been working on this Flapjack Octopus lately, it still needs some final detailing but im struggeling whith what those details could be. Maybe lighter shadows on his arms in the back? Or more translucent webs between the arms? If you have any ideas i'd love to hear them! :flapjack octopus-by Joery Verweij.jpg

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
It's flaps/fins are really good, maybe more translucent in the webbing? Make each arm more separate, instead of having the lines run diagonally across the whole body.

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Ah nice, thanks for the tip cuttlegirl! just tried the more distinctive arms thing u said and i think your right! i'll post an edited version soon

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jean and GPO! Great to hear, i'm still working on the rest of it's body, hope it can match up to the fins!

I'm also working on the Taningia Danae. I almost can't believe this animal actually exists with its lemon sized biolumenescent organs, hooks in stead of suckers and a size of up to 2,3 meters, awesome animal!
It's very difficult to get it's physicality right though, any tips? I'm curious what you thiTaningia danae by joery verweij.jpg nk of it

main_board

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Great stuff again Bonjoer!

I work with Taningia (dead unfortunately, not living) but for living representations I'd say these two videos best represent what I've seen in preserved specimens.

This one gives you lots of steady closeup on the front half of the animal. Just note that the eye is quite constricted here due to the bright light. The location of the eye I'd say is a little forward in your image, maybe try a tiny bit more space between it and the start of the arms.

(Taningia starts at 2:06)

This one shows the body posture the animal takes while flashing really well. The weird thing is that the second arms are actually the shortest, so it is really extending them out during this encounter. Otherwise the first and fourth arms are longest, and they're about equal. Lastly, the arm hooks are a lot closer together than in your image, usually about 30 pairs per arm.

But this is just being really picky. Your image is really good, and I like that you included the 'U'-shaped notch at the dorsal anterior fin-mantle attachment. And love the Opisthoteuthis.

Bonjoer

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Main Board,

Wow must be awesome to research Taningia's, I envy your job! Thanks for these videos and tips! I like that your picky, i want to get the visuals as accurate as i possibly can. I will revise my Taningia sketch when i can.

@ Muckoctopus: Thanks for the tip i will defenitly try to contact Stephanie for more information overall.

In the meanwhile i've been working on a Gonatus Fabricci, i used some colours based on the only video i could find of it. Curious what you think of it.

Thanks again for all the responses and help with my project you guys, it's very motivating to keep working on it. I'll post again soon!

Attachments

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan37

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak