Deaths of dozens of squid that washed ashore in BC likely natural ... - The Canadian

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by octobot, Aug 5, 2009.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

[​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]The Westerly[/SIZE]

Deaths of dozens of squid that washed ashore in BC likely natural ...
    [SIZE=-1]The Canadian Press[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]TOFINO, BC â?? Dozens of so-called jumbo squid have washed ashore along Vancouver Island beaches in recent weeks, although a local biologist thinks their ...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Holy calamari! Squid stranded on Vancouver Island[SIZE=-1]Vancouver Sun[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]What Killed Squid: Local Biologist Explains[SIZE=-1]Westcoaster[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]all 7 news articles »[/SIZE]

More...

2. Heather Braid

Heather Braid O. vulgaris Supporter

I desperately want to work on identifying stomach contents of Humboldt squid in BC using molecular techniques for my fourth year project for university, but I'm landlocked in Ontario and couldn't get out to BC until possibly later this month. Does anyone live in BC who would be able to/want to save the stomachs out of as many Humboldt squid they find for me?

If you do I'll make you a pie or cookies or something!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully NOT from squid stomachs:yuck:

Sorry I missed seeing you again at TONMOCON III but nice to see you are still active.

4. Noadi

Noadi Cuttlefish Registered

Anyone know if there are any theories as to why these squid has mass die offs? Is it post mating season deaths or something else?

5. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

6. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

Hi Heather,

Try contacting the Vancouver Aquarium or even DFO Pacific and see if anyone is looking into this. They may be able to collect some stomachs for you. I beleive there is a researcher at UBC working with cephalopods (GPO if I remember correctly), you could try them as well. I'm a 3 day drive away and am up to my ears in my own squid, otherwise I'd totally go and see what I could find :)

7. Heather Braid

Heather Braid O. vulgaris Supporter

Hi Bathypol! I was able to contact biologist Josie Osborne of the Raincoast Education Society and she said she would freeze squid stomachs for me! I am so excited!