Deadly octopus discovered in Antacrtica - Metro

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

[SIZE=-2]Reuters UK[/SIZE]

Deadly octopus discovered in Antacrtica
[SIZE=-1]Metro[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Four new species of octopus have been discovered in Antarctica – armed with venom which works at sub-zero temperatures. The molluscs range in size from just ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cold-Resistant Octopus Venom Discovered[SIZE=-1]RedOrbit[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cold comfort from octopuses[SIZE=-1]The Age[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Octopuses found with cold-resistant venom[SIZE=-1]Toronto Sun[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]clusterflock (blog) -Lifescience Lab[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 66 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

From what I saw, it is not clear that is is human lethal and I always get bent when the media does not bother to provide more than a "sensational" snippet.

Agreed, DWhatley. They describe the standard way that octopuses deal with bivalves and seem to ascribe it to some new, exotic Antarctic origin.

I am curious about the creatures--and about how big "really big" is.

Like most of the media presentations on new findings, I think they totally miss the point or at least headline the wrong information. I suspect the important part of the finding is the way the toxin works and not the toxin itself. It would be curious to see if all octo toxins work in cold water.

Have you started on Volume II yet?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back