[Octopus]: Davy Jones - O. hummelincki

chipmunkofdoom2

Cuttlefish
Registered
Featured Thread #41
Davy died last night. I'm almost glad, he was looking really rough and was having a really hard time breathing. I didn't want him to suffer for too long and I don't think he did.

Thanks @Maggie, @tonmo and @Carmen22. He was really a cool little guy, and though the experience was short, it was definitely enlightening and I learned a lot.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
You are a quality ceph-keeper, @chipmunkofdoom2 - hope you are back at it soon. Thank you for sharing your learnings with the community - this is a tough trade - and as long as there are octos being sold and kept, it's important that we continue to share experiences and knowledge to better our collective expertise! Thanks!

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
So sad to hear Davy lived for so short a time. Yes, it is best on keepers when senescence appears short but some theories think it starts much earlier than we observe. The lack of coordination paired with the extended lack of food interest is usually what we notice in the end. I have had some pass while still displaying full color, however, most also show a lack of ability to fully or change or only hold patterning for a few seconds before reverting to a greyish white. Early on, Neal suggested that I either accept the deaths or not keep them. Clearly I have chosen to enjoy their short lives and accept that we don't have a way to extend them.

chipmunkofdoom2

Cuttlefish
Registered
Thanks @DWhatley. Having your support through this short journey was really valuable, and I appreciate it.

I was wondering exactly what you voiced in your last sentence. I enjoyed having Davy, but he really didn't live as long as I would have hoped. I think given a few months I might be ready to try again.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Thanks @DWhatley.
I was wondering exactly what you voiced in your last sentence.
I still keep and fully enjoy them in spite of the risks of expense and sadness. I found an empty octo tank gave me a lonely feeling and that I needed to accept the short life lifespan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamibeachsteve

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards