[Octopus]: DaVinci - O. hummelincki

OK, so DaVinci has come out the last couple of mornings and he sits either inside or on top of the barnacles. He takes the thawed fiddler crabs right away and just sits there eating them! All the kids have gotten to watch him eat and today they kept going over to look for him and he was just sitting there looking out at them. Actually, he's still sitting there now! I'm sitting right next to tank and he's watching me! Too funny! Am going to post this pic and hope it shows up!! I think it is a pretty good one. He is sitting over the barnacle hole and is pretty much in the center of the picl He is really well camaflauged though!! It's amazing! If you see the 2 kind of small white circles close together, those are his eyes! Have fun looking for him!

Attachments

• conv_300954.zip
    287.2 KB · Views: 108
  • conv_300955.jpg
    conv_300955.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 135
Once the picture is on your PC, display the directory and right click on the folder. You will see the option to "Extract All". This will convert the compressed (.zip) files into their original format. The ones you are displaying have two files in the compressed file. One is a .txt and the other, the picture, is a .jpg. I don't use my phone much and not at all for pictures but it may be that if you send NO text at all (the txt file with this one says "DaVinci on barnacle"), the file will not be compressed.

Thanks "D"! I actually think I understand what you're talking about!! Will work on it. If I don't get it, I guess my lesson will be back on in San Francisco!! LOL

DaVinci is still doing great. I forgot to mention that the reason I am using the flake food as a signal is because It's so hard for me to feed him at a very consistent time. I am now tapping on the glass just before putting in the flake food in hopes that he will feel the vibration and learn to come to that signal. I realize it might not work, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try!! :smile: The other advantage of the flake food is that I can now get him to come out when parents, etc... show up and want to see him!!

Several people have had good luck with "glass tapping". Soon though, just standing in front of the tank will work. What you should start seeing is DaVinci changing color from his camo to something lighter as you look for him in the tank. It "seems" that they observe you and then kind of hurrumph and make themselves visible as if to inform you that you are not very bright.

Oh is that why he did that today??? LOL !! I noticed that when I came up to the glass today he kind of lightened up and was much easier to see. And yes, he just might be brighter than me! He's the one chillin in the tank looking at me like I'm crazy! :bonk:

It is so great to have an octopus that comes out during the day! I had no idea that he would actually wind up sitting around all day long watching us! The kids just love him! I got a shipment of fiddler crabs today and decided to feed him a live one. WOW! As soon as he saw it moving he grew a whole inch straight up!! Then (I'm not even sure how to describe it!) his eyes/body kind of swayed and turned as he watched the crab! It was like watching some little miniture alien!! I let the crab go and he was on it in a flash! So cool!

I am trying to appreciate him because I realize that it could be a while before another O. Hummelincki comes my way again!!!

So, we're still doing good! I got a short video of him on my I phone, but I need to check into how to get it on You Tube and then on here! I did get another pic of him sitting in a front hole of the barnacle watching everything going on! It's just so funny! He's getting a little less shy when my hand gets near him, but I'm taking it slow, especially since I don't want to corner him in a hole! I don't think there's another way out, but not sure. Will try posting pic. "D", I remembered not to add any text when I sent it to my computer! I'm really hoping it will show up like it's supposed to!! Here goes...

Attachments

• conv_300972.jpg
    conv_300972.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 161
LOL, even preschool teachers have to do some kind of continuing ed :wink:

Once you get the video on YouTube, go to it with your computer (your phone will have a slightly different address) and copy the address that shows in the address bar (not from the share options they offer). In another tab, come to your log and click the film icon (7th group, 5th icon). You will have to have pop-ups allowed. If you have to give permission, you may have to click the icon a second time to get the pop-up box. Paste the address of the YouTube video in the provided space and click OK. You will see the address in your post as [ VIDEO ] ... [ /VIDEO ] (slight adjustment made with spaces so the software does not think I am trying to actually post a video). You can add text above or below the bracketed address. When you post your reply, the video will be able to play on the TONMO site without having to go to YouTube.

Too funny! Yep, I need lots of continuing education when it comes to computers!! Agh!! It's really hard for me to figure out, but I will say that once I've learned something, it does become pretty easy! Am going to try and post video in morning!! Your instructions made sense when I read them..... we"ll see how good I am at implementing them!!! :roll:

OK, can't resist trying to post another pic correctly! This is a pic of some of the kids watching DaVinci eat!:smile:

Attachments

• conv_300973.jpg
    conv_300973.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 106
This is the video of DaVinci and the shrimp. The quality is not near as good as the Noah and Ziggy one!:oops: I'm not sure why, they were both taken with my I phone... any suggestions???

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back