Damn you, Jaques Costau! (spelling error)

Well, cousteau is a debated man, even in France ...

One of my old teachers at Luminy University (first year animal biology teacher) in 1994 was a former scientists in one of the firsts Cousteau team ( as a marine biologist)

His opinion about cousteau was :

If his impact in ocean protection is well known, the second part of his carrier was essentially made for communication and publicity than serious scientific studies ( on the contrary of the firsts campaigns).

I have a good memory about that sentence because I was a fan of Cousteau and it was the first different point of view i heard in France about the man.

Whatever, a ceph with a mantle size of 1.5 to 2 meters ( Taningia danae, Moroteuthis robusta) can be impressive, even for cousteau and particulary in his small submarine (a yellow saucer of 2,85 diameter only !) .

In addition in his book there are no information about the specie's name encoutered and there are no picture on this specimen ... This is a strange thing because the submarine was equiped with numerous flash and cameras .... if he took pictures i could have been the first man to have pictures of deep fresh living giant squid. Cousteau is talking about this story in red Sea. Did he lied ? We cannot prove that, but i'm sceptical.

There is a rumor about Cousteau but obviously this seems to be a hoax ( this is my opinion) : It's talking about a strange big and aggressive creature story ( not precisely a squid ) living near Djibouti ... close to the red Sea. French soldiers where supposed to be present but actually there is no sure eyewitness. The rumor said that there is a bad quality video tape about this creature.
We can just find this story in cryptozoological french sites. Cousteau fondations members denied have infomations about this case.

This last point has no value in my opinion.

But i'm sceptical on the cousteau's book about he squid encounter, because there is no probe except the man's word ... and only that...

Thank you for an interesting perspective about the senior Cousteau! I hope people think about the times when they review him. Not only was going underwater for longer than you could hold your breath a new experiment but movies, television and international media coverage were in their infancy as well.

He lit my fire, and it never ceased burning; I too built a model calypso (revell) in my youth, that helicopter was as painful as the wiring, AND it included a tiger shark! :wink:

That is a heritage to be proud of! I am also endeared to Troy, one of Cousteau's grandchildren's Tin Tin inspired projects...

haaicousteau.jpg

cousteausharksubmarine.jpg

Well if you want to see some interesting project with scientific purpose ( in theory) and at the same time communication to protect the seas, let see this :

http://www.seaorbiter.com/accueil
( site in english or french ). It could be nice... but efficient ? maybe .. it depend of the use.

Despite my article i think that Cousteau was an extraordinary man, and he did a lot of work to prevent damages on the seas ( and on earth in general). I just saif that the scientifics contain of his campaigns was declining at the same time communication took a major role.

For children and non scientist peoples, Cousteau was efficient to wake up minds. I am just disapointed by some stranges lacks in some of his books ... including the story of the big squid.
Cousteau has not the same impact on the adult i am now,in comparaison to the child i was.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back