Damn you, Jaques Costau! (spelling error)

DocidicusGigas

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
You know that 'I saw a giant squid' thing he has? All those tantalizing hints? (It's printed in 'Search for the Giant Squid' and in 'Octopus and Squid: The Soft Intelligence'.) It's giving me a friggin headache. I can't understand it... he's evil, that's what it is. Evil.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Dosidicus,

Yes, that's a weird tale, isn't it? I wonder if the original French text of the book differs significantly from the English version. Is it possible he wrote about a "big" or "large" squid that, through translation, emerged as a "giant" squid? I haven't got the book with me; does he actually call it Architeuthis, or use the more general term "giant squid?"

Clem

supernick

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
I did a report on him 2 years ago. its, Costeau

Ninja monkeys are meeting at this moment plotting my demise :goofysca:

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
I went looking for Cousteau quotes about squid in French and spent half the morning reading a cryptozoology message boards. :oops:

Seems giant squid translates directly. You are not the only one who would like for him to show us photos of le calamar geant!

Melissa

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Richard Ellis (Hi, if you are reading this!) makes a very good point in his book The Search For The Giant Squid about Cousteau's description.

Cousteau records that from his mini-sub porthole at 800 feet he saw a very large cephalopod and that it was an unearthly sight, astonishing and terrifying. It fixed its huge eyes on him, then suddenly it was gone. The impression it made was one of size and power, he stated that he could understand how formidable a giant squid must be. (Forgive the paraphrasing, the passage is too lengthy to copy out in its entirety).

Cousteau fails to give a location or date for the incident and at no point does he state that that he saw Architeuthis. The squid may be huge, but what does that mean? The term is relative; my pet cat may be huge, but that does not make it a tiger. The implication for the reader is that he saw a giant squid, but if had really seen one I'm sure he would have been more than forthcoming with the details, afterall, Jacques Cousteau was not exactly media-shy.

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Phil!

BTW, your new avatar is astonishing!

Melissa

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
No more Cousteau bashing, please!!!! He did a wonderful job of introducing at least one youth (me) to the amazing world of the ocean...I loved those shows!

Yeah, yeah, I know...but hey, I even have a model "Calypso".
Greg

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm with you, Greg...

I remember when Carl Sagan died, he was dubbed "the Jacques Cousteau of outer space"... Which is correct in that he adeptly brought the mysteries of a foreign environment into the consciousness of the everyman/woman. However, Carl never physically explored his environment as Jacques did!

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
But, even now, whenever someone says "billions and billions" I remember the spaceship "dandelion" on its quest through the galaxy...both of those gentlemen were the best !
Now I have to put up with Irwin and his ilk...yikes.
Greg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ceph Art and Culture 3
L8 2 RISE Tank Talk 12
M Octopus Care 10
spartacus Cephalopod Fossils 3

Latest Forum Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frans1013