[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

Reluctantly I turned the big one loose into the tank yesterday. It has reached 2 inches already. No surprise, as it is ALWAYS hungry and is eating shrimp after shrimp after shrimp. It immediately found cover beneath an overhang of rock and gradually made its way down to the lower parts of the tank throughout the day. I spotted it in several different places last night. I'm happy to see it's acting like a typical cuttle now, hovering around and checking stuff out.

The medium sized one took a krill off the end of a stick this morning, yay! And the smallest has finally taken to eating amphipods.

Just an observation over the past several days.

I can't keep feeder shrimp in the display for any extended amount of time. The brittle stars apparently enjoy them as much as the cuttles. I wouldn't have believed it but time after time I have seen the brittles snag live shrimp and pull them in under rocks. Hopefully I can lure the stars out of their spots and relocate them to the other tanks. Very frustrating when food isn't cheap. Makes me wish I had kept the big guy in a nursery a little longer.

Both of the larger cuttles are about the same size now, the smaller one half their size.

When I get home at night the big guy is always out in the open, and usually in one of two spots. A devils hand leather, or in the front-center resting on a rock. During the day he is hard to spot and moves around between several caves.

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=45&t=16013

Little update.

The biggest of the bunch is almost 3 inches now.

IMG_3589.jpg

TQN;133046 said:
Nice! That thing is a monster!:sink:

Are the other two catching up at all in size yet?

It's funny. They are staggered. The middle one is about 2 inches, and the smallest is MAYBE over an inch now. They all eat about the same. The smallest one eats very well, and is the most active, always swimming around. When I am standing in front of the tank it swims over to check me out. The other two just sit around.

The middle one sits at the front side of the nursery and stares out into the living room at night. During the day it hangs toward the back behind some algae. The big one is usually nowhere to be seen during daylight. Every time I see the big one I'm surprised how much bigger it is.

Glad to see them doing well! You must be feeding a lot. My biggest ones from the same batch are a inch and a half. Ive been skimping on feeding shore shrimp though. Little too expensive for me with 16 mouths to feed =) All of mine have been eating frozen though.

AM, is the cuttle attached to the macro or actually moving himself in the current?

Explain the brightness filter please, my low light shots are sooo grainey.

The cuttle is hovering in the current.

I used microsoft moviemaker to edit the video. Selected the brightness increase effect, and added it 4 times total to get that bright. It is more grainy than the original.

They started to cruise around the tank in the open at night this past week. Actually caught one hanging out underneath a breeder or sitting on the mag-float a few times. Last night I finally saw the flowing black bands trailing down the largest cuttles mantle.

Well, after shipping delays for live feeders I've started trying the thawed dead foods.

So far the big guy likes silversides and the tiny one will eat a little krill. Otherwise I'm having to feed them ghost shrimp until I can get some more shore shrimp in which is a pain in the butt because ghost shrimp just don't thrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back