[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

Pic of the big one next to a not so big one.

IMG_3401.jpg

Man... I hate to say it, but it sounds quite disheartening raising cuttles from eggs. I'd be VERY frustrated with incedents such as the preceding. Thanks for the update. Keep those bad boys at bay!

Yeah. Well it is my fault to some degree. The mysis have been showing up 2 days later than when they are supposed to, and being the holidays I should have expected the mail to be slow and should have been ordering larger amounts to compensate. I've been scavenging them by removing rocks from my tanks and squirting them with water in a bucket so that whatever's hiding in the holes gets washed out, but it's not the numbers I need.

If Big Boy can eat his sibblings, maybe he is ready for larger food and since he is by himself, trying shore shrimp should not intimidate the others?

He may take frozen mysids already. I have actually had some 2 week olds start taking them. Try to throw some frozen ones in first every time you feed. If they dont go for it then throw some live ones in. After a while they start taking the frozen.

Animal Mother;129039 said:
Thanks Rich, it was a spur of the moment "I need to buy some net breeders" to "I can BUILD one for free with crap I have laying around!"

Nancy, it would be nice... we shall see what happens. I ordered a dozen so I'd have good odds of getting at least one pair out of the batch. 8 of the eggs have similarly sized babies inside, the others I'm not so sure about. I'm going to keep 4 or 5 and try to find someone to take the others if (please please please) enough make it that far. When I told Layla that she said... "But what about that tank?" referring to my super awesome cula malo new octopus tank that's being put together at the moment. I'm going to feed them pods for now. Between the 3 displays and the prop tank, I have 4 refugiums, all of which are crawling with pods. The prop tank has no fish in it so at any given time I can count a few dozen running around just on the glass, some of which are bigger than the cuttle babies. Should be a good enough source of food for a couple of weeks. If they won't take frozen mysis after that I'll just have to place an order with SACHS.

D.. Finally??? I opted a while back! The supply just couldn't meet the demand.

TQN, I wish you luck! I hope we both have at least half the success Rich and Daniel have had.

PLEASE in need of cuttles!

Paradox;130564 said:
He may take frozen mysids already. I have actually had some 2 week olds start taking them. Try to throw some frozen ones in first every time you feed. If they dont go for it then throw some live ones in. After a while they start taking the frozen.

I've been trying frozen mysis every couple of days but no interest yet. I tried blowing them around gently with the baster, sticking them on the end of fishing line, just feeding them to the pods so the pods can drag them around and make them look alive, etc.

Put in an order for live mysis last Thursday, just shipped out today. With New Years coming, they probably won't be here until Friday. Our mail carrier is pretty unreliable. Sometimes our regular mail doesn't get delivered every day, and I know it's not because we just didn't get any mail that day because we have Netflix, and sometimes the movies don't get picked up and just sit in the mailbox all day.

As pointless as it may be, I'm hatching brine. If anything I figure it will make for hunting/capturing experience for the smaller ones. I'm pretty sure the big guy is capable of successfully eating pods so it's the smaller ones I'm worried about. I see them hunting the pods but they only go after the tiniest ones, which hide easily in the corners of the breeders behind the posts that hold the box together where the cuttles can't get them. Next time I will have acrylic breeders so the bugs have no place to hide.

Make sure the frozen mysis have eyes. I seem to remember someone drawing eyes on the mysis, but I don't remember who it was or what they used to draw them on with :roll:. My cuttles at this age would go after the frozen as long as they had eyes.

You can try ghost shrimp if your local fish stores have any. Or baby guppies as long as you know for sure they were never treated with copper. Some have reported hatchlings to eat tigger pods, but they are very small and will go through your netting. Personally Ive never seen a cuttle eat a tigger pod though. They can be bought live at some fishstores. Since your in Fort Worth, theres probably no local bodies of waters to possibly find wild mysids or pods but if there is, you might give that a try. Mysids will only show up during early evenings in the moonlight. Pods you will find under rocks right at the shores.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back