[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

Amphipods often don't make good initial food for hatchlings because they are hard to catch, and hunting has a learning curve. That's why I recommend live mysis for the first week or so after hatching.

Never built a hatchling feeding rig, couldn't figure out a good way to hold thawed mysis. Any idears? 28 babies want to know! :smile:

Dale,

I'm selfishly keeping my fingers crossed for you and your success! Aku is brooding and I'm seriously considering a break from octos, or at least small egged cephs! I'm reading this thread with extra attention now, as always, I'm more willing to try things when I have good role models to follow! Keep it up, Thales and Paradox, too- someone will be getting some of my X-mas $$ in the new year!!

Thales;129534 said:
Amphipods often don't make good initial food for hatchlings because they are hard to catch, and hunting has a learning curve. That's why I recommend live mysis for the first week or so after hatching.

Never built a hatchling feeding rig, couldn't figure out a good way to hold thawed mysis. Any idears? 28 babies want to know! :smile:

Live mysis are on their way. I just hope the mesh is small enough to contain them. I'm wondering if I add a small container of sorts with a tall rim, if I can keep the mysis corralled.

Last night when I got home I did notice the numbers of amphipods had dwindled. 3 of the babies were hanging out in the corner where the majority of the pods had crowded yesterday morning.

Final egg hatched about 1:30am. So that's 9.

Some of the babies.

IMG_3311.jpg

Everyone started hunting after lights out tonight. So cool! I went ahead and bought 2 net breeders fearing that the live mysis will be able to run in and out of the window screen easily. I moved the larger 4 of the bunch into one and the rest into the other. I will just move them into my homemade nursery as they grow and accept larger foods.

I had fun checking out the baby cuttles dude. Seeing the size difference of kalypso really gave me a good idea of octo aging. She is still just as curious. Can't wait until those cuttle get a little older :wink:. Oh did the mysids come?

cuttlechris;129708 said:
I had fun checking out the baby cuttles dude. Seeing the size difference of kalypso really gave me a good idea of octo aging. She is still just as curious. Can't wait until those cuttle get a little older :wink:. Oh did the mysids come?

Mysis never showed up. :shock:

Mysis finally showed up a day late. Alayna fed them since I wasn't home. According to her the babies immediately began stalking the shrimps, to no surprise.

All 9 still alive and accounted for. I've seen a lot of hunting. I saw one spit out what appeared to be leftovers, but I haven't witnessed a successful catch yet. Some of them appear to be a bit larger.

They probably are larger! I have one group that has been eating for 1 week. maybe 1-2 mysids a day. Compared to other hatchlings that have yet to eat, these are 30% larger! They convert an incredibly amount of thier food to bio-mass. You can literally see differences in days.

All 9 doing well. I haven't been able to get anyone to try the frozen stuff yet. One of them is a lot bigger than the others.

Wish I'd gotten the clear acrylic breeders.

Lost one this morning. Not sure why. The cuttlebone looks exposed and maybe like the head was munched on, but that could be secondary from pods/bristleworms. I will note that it was in the nursery with the largest of the bunch, which is about twice as big as the others.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back