[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

I catch mysids out of my tank by siphoning them out. Still hard, but its the easiest method Ive tried so far. I use window screen on my custom made nursery and mysids dont go through it.

3 babies swimming around as of now.

I am going to build 2 dividers and make 3 sections. I have been trying frozen mysis (tiny ones in a flat pack and PE mysis since they are large and intact) blown around with the baster a little and no sign of interest. After lights out though, the mysis draws pods from the chaetomorpha and rubble. I have been loading the nursery down with pods rendered from my other tanks. Every night I gather a couple dozen mid-sized gammarus amphipods and place them in the nursery. I tried pinching one with some forceps and holding in front of the cuttles so they can see it squirming but didn't get a response.

Did you see Paradox's feeder tree? Even if they don't feed on it right away, it would make it easier to remove food and they might start identifying it with food if smaller critters approach it.

dwhatley;129396 said:
Did you see Paradox's feeder tree? Even if they don't feed on it right away, it would make it easier to remove food and they might start identifying it with food if smaller critters approach it.

I guess I didn't see that. Link me up.

Hey guys! We actually never made one. I recall Rich and I talking about it, but at that time, our cuttles were getting large and the need was not immediete, so laziness kicked in. Considering that we have 20+ hatchlings at the moment, its probably a good idea to revisit this idea!

I was thinking of making a cylinder shaped container and have a slight flow in the tank that will 'tumble' the shrimp to keep them suspended.

If anyone else has any ideas, Id love to hear it!

Your hatchlings may still not be interested in food. I had a hatchling that hatched 5 days before yours and did not take his first mysid until today.

8 babies as of today. 1 egg left to hatch. 1 egg was a dud. Only casualty so far was the one that hatched during shipping. Not bad at all.

I placed one divider in the nursery, moved all the chaeto and most of the rubble to one side, left the babies on the other. I shook out most of the pods so that they are left with nowhere to hide, completely exposed and unable to escape. Most of the pods are gathering in a corner, like a buffet. The babies are showing interest in the pods and are a bit more active than the days before. One of them is noticeably larger than the rest, two of them are noticeably smaller than the rest. I will begin seperating them as I see how they fair.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back