[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

Bought some eggs, they got here about 30 minutes ago. One hatchling and several eggs. The hatchling is swimming about and several of the eggs have similarly sized babies inside so I imagine it won't be long before the lone cuttle has company.

Pictures soon!

This is the nursery I Frankensteined out of some window screen and eggcrate and acrylic rods for hooks.
IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

Dale, glad to hear that you're raising cuttles. Best of luck to you. It would be nice if we eventually had a Dallas/Ft. Worth source of cuttle eggs!

Nice pics of your tank. What will you feed the hatchlings, and where will you get the food?

Nancy

Cool--it is nice to see someone else posting who has eggs/cuttles at the same stage of development as mine. It will be interesting to follow the progress of your little guys, and compare notes :smile:

Kelly

Thanks Rich, it was a spur of the moment "I need to buy some net breeders" to "I can BUILD one for free with crap I have laying around!"

Nancy, it would be nice... we shall see what happens. I ordered a dozen so I'd have good odds of getting at least one pair out of the batch. 8 of the eggs have similarly sized babies inside, the others I'm not so sure about. I'm going to keep 4 or 5 and try to find someone to take the others if (please please please) enough make it that far. When I told Layla that she said... "But what about that tank?" referring to my super awesome cula malo new octopus tank that's being put together at the moment. I'm going to feed them pods for now. Between the 3 displays and the prop tank, I have 4 refugiums, all of which are crawling with pods. The prop tank has no fish in it so at any given time I can count a few dozen running around just on the glass, some of which are bigger than the cuttle babies. Should be a good enough source of food for a couple of weeks. If they won't take frozen mysis after that I'll just have to place an order with SACHS.

D.. Finally??? I opted a while back! The supply just couldn't meet the demand.

TQN, I wish you luck! I hope we both have at least half the success Rich and Daniel have had.

Oh..that Dale! This whole time I didn't realize it was you!

Good luck on the cuttles! That window screen breeder is pretty cool!

You may have less success with pods for they are a little harder for the babies to catch. Try to make sure you actually see each one eat and separate the shyer cuttles so they have a better chance of feeding.

Thanks, good luck to you too! hope your little guys do well for you. You know, now that I finally got some cuttles, my only regret is not ordering MORE! So, if down the road you find yourself with cuttles to spare, I am sure we would not mind taking some of them off your hands :smile:
:cuttle:

Yup, it's me dude.

I'd never thought the pods would be harder to catch than the lightning fast spastic mysis shrimps. Poop. I will be paying very close attention when it's feeding time. I have a lot of mysis in my tanks too but they're way harder for me catch. Go figure. At this point I'm just going to be swapping out little chunks of chaetomorpha from my refugiums and pieces of rubble from the displays. I hope the mesh is small enough to keep the mysis in. The pods are too big to climb out so that was something I had considered.

It should be easy enough to make a divider. I figured I'd need to make one or two anyway since I got so many.

Dale,

Good for you! Glad to hear you have found a bunch to hatch! I am sure they will do quite well with you..

If you have to part with any after hatching please let me know! With your help so far we have done quite well with the briarius...Thanks again,

Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back