[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Dale's Dwarf Cuttles

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
3 babies swimming around as of now.

I am going to build 2 dividers and make 3 sections. I have been trying frozen mysis (tiny ones in a flat pack and PE mysis since they are large and intact) blown around with the baster a little and no sign of interest. After lights out though, the mysis draws pods from the chaetomorpha and rubble. I have been loading the nursery down with pods rendered from my other tanks. Every night I gather a couple dozen mid-sized gammarus amphipods and place them in the nursery. I tried pinching one with some forceps and holding in front of the cuttles so they can see it squirming but didn't get a response.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Did you see Paradox's feeder tree? Even if they don't feed on it right away, it would make it easier to remove food and they might start identifying it with food if smaller critters approach it.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
dwhatley;129396 said:
Did you see Paradox's feeder tree? Even if they don't feed on it right away, it would make it easier to remove food and they might start identifying it with food if smaller critters approach it.
I guess I didn't see that. Link me up.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Hey guys! We actually never made one. I recall Rich and I talking about it, but at that time, our cuttles were getting large and the need was not immediete, so laziness kicked in. Considering that we have 20+ hatchlings at the moment, its probably a good idea to revisit this idea!

I was thinking of making a cylinder shaped container and have a slight flow in the tank that will 'tumble' the shrimp to keep them suspended.

If anyone else has any ideas, Id love to hear it!

Your hatchlings may still not be interested in food. I had a hatchling that hatched 5 days before yours and did not take his first mysid until today.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
8 babies as of today. 1 egg left to hatch. 1 egg was a dud. Only casualty so far was the one that hatched during shipping. Not bad at all.

I placed one divider in the nursery, moved all the chaeto and most of the rubble to one side, left the babies on the other. I shook out most of the pods so that they are left with nowhere to hide, completely exposed and unable to escape. Most of the pods are gathering in a corner, like a buffet. The babies are showing interest in the pods and are a bit more active than the days before. One of them is noticeably larger than the rest, two of them are noticeably smaller than the rest. I will begin seperating them as I see how they fair.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Amphipods often don't make good initial food for hatchlings because they are hard to catch, and hunting has a learning curve. That's why I recommend live mysis for the first week or so after hatching.

Never built a hatchling feeding rig, couldn't figure out a good way to hold thawed mysis. Any idears? 28 babies want to know! :smile:

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Dale,

I'm selfishly keeping my fingers crossed for you and your success! Aku is brooding and I'm seriously considering a break from octos, or at least small egged cephs! I'm reading this thread with extra attention now, as always, I'm more willing to try things when I have good role models to follow! Keep it up, Thales and Paradox, too- someone will be getting some of my X-mas $$ in the new year!!

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Thales;129534 said:
Amphipods often don't make good initial food for hatchlings because they are hard to catch, and hunting has a learning curve. That's why I recommend live mysis for the first week or so after hatching.

Never built a hatchling feeding rig, couldn't figure out a good way to hold thawed mysis. Any idears? 28 babies want to know! :smile:
Live mysis are on their way. I just hope the mesh is small enough to contain them. I'm wondering if I add a small container of sorts with a tall rim, if I can keep the mysis corralled.

Last night when I got home I did notice the numbers of amphipods had dwindled. 3 of the babies were hanging out in the corner where the majority of the pods had crowded yesterday morning.

Final egg hatched about 1:30am. So that's 9.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Everyone started hunting after lights out tonight. So cool! I went ahead and bought 2 net breeders fearing that the live mysis will be able to run in and out of the window screen easily. I moved the larger 4 of the bunch into one and the rest into the other. I will just move them into my homemade nursery as they grow and accept larger foods.

cuttlechris

Wonderpus
Registered
I had fun checking out the baby cuttles dude. Seeing the size difference of kalypso really gave me a good idea of octo aging. She is still just as curious. Can't wait until those cuttle get a little older ;). Oh did the mysids come?

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
cuttlechris;129708 said:
I had fun checking out the baby cuttles dude. Seeing the size difference of kalypso really gave me a good idea of octo aging. She is still just as curious. Can't wait until those cuttle get a little older ;). Oh did the mysids come?
Mysis never showed up. :shock:

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Mysis finally showed up a day late. Alayna fed them since I wasn't home. According to her the babies immediately began stalking the shrimps, to no surprise.

All 9 still alive and accounted for. I've seen a lot of hunting. I saw one spit out what appeared to be leftovers, but I haven't witnessed a successful catch yet. Some of them appear to be a bit larger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamibeachsteve

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak