Daffy (A)- O.hummelincki

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I went through hell the last two weeks trying to get what was suppose to be two different species of octo one "large" and one "small" well the first two got held up in shipping and were DOA at the LFS. The second two are lost in space, yup neither the LFS, the supplier or the airline could find them. then the third pair missed there plane. and finally today they arrived. They are both O.hummelincki

This thread will be for the larger of the two which I placed in my 125g tank, there was no acclimation just a direct plop into the tank. as my water and my LFS both use the same saltwater and temps. or parameters match up perfectly.

I think noname A is a male, do to his third arm being curled at all times.

I guesstimate his mantle to be about 2.5"

I'll post pics and video in a bit.

DSCN2532.jpg

DSCN2530.jpg

Could you tell the species of the two that were DOA?

Great looking fella. I have had very good luck with the larger males so I am hoping that my experience holds up with this one.

He can still color so you should have some time with him. I was worried about Octane because of his size but he was with me for 7 more months and might have lived as much as a month longer had I not left his top open :cry:

More pics. Picked up three dozen live shrimp for $3 and split them between the two, A imediately pounced on three. so while he was sitting and munching I snapped a few photos

DSCN2551.jpg

DSCN2550.jpg

DSCN2552.jpg

Daffy is great. Although we have not made much progress with contact and petting he is out most of the day. and loves to play against the glass with anyone. He is still the same size. his longest arm is about 6" and his mantle is about 2". He is not a big eater. he maybe grabs a live shrimp every few days. he will take a frozen one whenever i offer it, but i mostly let him hunt and catch his own food.

A1.jpg

a2.jpg

I have often mentioned that size on this species seems to vary more than with other species we keep. We have seen them dwarf sized and with mantles as large as O. brieareus (but not arms). Our first one did not grow much the full seven months we kept him and ate like a pig (1 large frozen shrimp 6 days a week). None of out others were as large nor had that kind of appetite.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back