• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Cycling question

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Not really. Look at it as a positive thing - you're getting used to taking care of your tank, you're building up your supply of amphipods for your little octopus and creating a safe home for him.

Nancy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Whatever you do, don't be swayed by products saying that they can "cycle the tank in ______________ weeks", etc. It is a bunch of hogwash. 3 months will go by so fast, and it will be a great time to start your octo tank.

greg

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Your little octopus will appreciate having such a convenient snack in the tank. They must be pretty tasty because my bimac hunted for them even after she had eaten every amphipod in the tank (and I had hundreds of them). I felt sorry for her and added some more.

And the small things in your tank can be fun to watch, too. I love putting in small flakes and watching the amphipods come out to find a flake and hurry back to their holes. Lots of activity!

Nancy

Members online

No members online now.