• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cycle

mcmusashi5;140112 said:
i get it so theres more than one kind of bio bacteria

It would probably be helpful to you to do some basic reading on the nitrogen cycle, then you should understand the different classes of bacteria involved, and that is is not just the size of a given bacterial population, but also it’s constituent strains, that determines whether a tank is able to be able to deal with a sudden surge in bioload (i.e. an animal). Absolutely, definitely also read the threads recommended by cuttlegirl.
I guess I am wondering the same thing as D; are you in a particular rush? Is there a reason that cycling a tank for at least 3 months before you add a cuttle is not an option?
Lene

Cryp_Sis;140116 said:
It would probably be helpful to you to do some basic reading on the nitrogen cycle, then you should understand the different classes of bacteria involved, and that is is not just the size of a given bacterial population, but also it’s constituent strains, that determines whether a tank is able to be able to deal with a sudden surge in bioload (i.e. an animal). Absolutely, definitely also read the threads recommended by cuttlegirl.
I guess I am wondering the same thing as D; are you in a particular rush? Is there a reason that cycling a tank for at least 3 months before you add a cuttle is not an option?
Lene
i already know i was just wondering time

Like I said you can use it but its only cuts a couple of weeks off. And when i added the octo i saw a little bit of ammonia and nitrite. Lots of people wouldnt recommend it, but your choice. Remember your in charge of the cephalopods life.

bluespotocto;140125 said:
Like I said you can use it but its only cuts a couple of weeks off. And when i added the octo i saw a little bit of ammonia and nitrite. Lots of people wouldnt recommend it, but your choice. Remember your in charge of the cephalopods life.

k

The time taken for the nitrogen cycle is dependent on the BACTERIA, not the type of animal you ultimately keep in the tank. The only read out for the bacterial population is to follow the levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate over time. Again; doing some reading on this subject is invaluable.

I am confused by your last post.
Are you using the same system, with the same mature (cycled) water as you had for the other cephs?
If so: How long since it has had a ceph in it? And what are the water quality parameters?
If you give as much info as you can in posts it is helpful for others to give advice.

Cryp_Sis;140245 said:
The time taken for the nitrogen cycle is dependent on the BACTERIA, not the type of animal you ultimately keep in the tank. The only read out for the bacterial population is to follow the levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate over time. Again; doing some reading on this subject is invaluable.

I am confused by your last post.
Are you using the same system, with the same mature (cycled) water as you had for the other cephs?
If so: How long since it has had a ceph in it? And what are the water quality parameters?
If you give as much info as you can in posts it is helpful for others to give advice.

well my loved hobby had a ''break'' as some would say because i stopped for a year and i emptied my tank so i just started it 2 weeks so ya:biggrin2:

So the fastest way to cycle a tank with out a booster(boosters dont work) is to put some water in and some damsels and snail and stuff. To really get the ammonia going you can just drop some raw shrimp in the bottom of your tank. The snails and hermit crabs will like that and you dont have to feed them. The shrimp will help with ammonia. Try and stay clear of the boosters. Remember SW tanks take patients with every thing.:lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back