• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttles just arrived!

Just recieved my cuttle eggs from Tracy (Octopus Reef), and all of the eggs hatched in transit. So I have 4 little babies scooting around. One seems to be doing poorly, not sure though.

Should they be swimming around, or is sitting on the bottom the majority of what they do?

I don't have any food on hand, as I was expecting a week or so before hatching. I'll have to dig up some pods until mysis get here. Any tips on collecting pods from a reef tank?

Thanks,
Brock Fluharty

(And sorry, no pics. They're too small for my camera...=[)

Brock, They will just sit around for awhile, remember they are just trying to survive in a BIG world so everything is a predator to them, They will move around more as time goes on but for now they will be quite still during the day. If you have a filter sock or filter pads there will be pods in there or if you have a fuge they will be in your calurpa, You will probably have a few days before they "want" to eat anyway but don't count on them being able to take pods for a couple weeks until they get their aim and strength up. You need to get mysis asap just to be safe. good luck, don't hesitate to pm or email me if you need to.....Tracy

Hmm...the one that I thought was dying seems fine now. Perhaps I was mistaken. I know he was on his back a lot, but maybe he was just stressed or something. He seems very responsive to the others, if they happen to bump into him. They all love turning a deep red when I'm around lol. I don't think they like me too much yet =P

One is a bit larger than the rest. Not really a measurable difference, but you can tell when he's next to another. And he is always red. He turns white when spooked or interested, which is the opposite from the others.

Is frequent inking bad for cuttles? One just inked twice while I was trying to shake some pods out of the chaeto. It seemed like a large amount of ink too. One seemed to be a pseudomorph (correct word?), where the second ink was more of a cloud.

Uploading some pictures now...:smile:

Brock Fluharty

IMG_0033.jpg

Bad pic, but I couldn't do any better with my camera. This is the guy that's always red.

Congratulations!
...Mine are just a few days older....all they do is sit around during the day(between the netting and frame hiding)...they seem to like each others company...im waiting for my mysis to show up tomorrow...I've been catchin mysis and pods...they seem to be dissapearing

Goodluck!

Mysis failed to show up today. I'm worried that if they're not here by tomorrow, the little guys might starve. They won't eat brine. I think it must be too small.

Crossing my fingers they show up tomorrow...

The one that wasn't doing too well did end up dying. His mantle seemed to be pulling away from the rest of his body...

Where did u order from?
It'll be there tomorrow.

I ordered from sachs. Placed Order monday nite. Email confirmation tues. Mornin..
Shipped out weds. Arrived alive today in oregon. 2 days from florida to oregon.crazy no heat,ice,or styro

I ordered from Paul Sachs also. I placed the order Tuesday evening, but I'm not terribly far from Florida, so I was expecting them today. It was pretty cold here today too, so I hope they're ok...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back