cuttles and clams thread

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by hobogato, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hobogato

hobogato O. vulgaris Registered

i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of two three month old S. bandensis tomorrow. they will be living in a 50 gallon clam tank that is plumbed into my 240 gallon display tank.

here are some pics of the 240
    front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    back
    [​IMG]
    the filtration
    [​IMG]

here is the clam and cuttle tank from the front
    [​IMG]

here it is from the top after adding some rock and macro algae in preparation for the cuttles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are some live shore shrimp that a friend brought me from the coast yesterday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thank you to everyone who has posted information and articles here, i have been reading lots lately. until finding this site, i never thought i would be able to keep these incredible animals :)

2. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

To quick questions to ask here,

Who did you get these from, if you don't mind me asking?
    and
    Your clam/cuttle tank looks like you can only see what's in it by looking through the top, and all of the sides are covered with wood, is this correct? If so, you may want to rethink what tank you use, cuttles like to view their surroundings and to know what's going on around them which they can't do in a tank like that, you would also be able to see and interact with the cuttles easier with a "see through" tank. I say this because cephs are probably the only aquarium animal that can be considered "pets" because they like to interact with you. These are just suggestions, not "musts". And congadulations on your new pets, I look forward to the day when I can make this post.

Oh yeah, and :welcome:

3. hobogato

i am getting them from shipposhack.

you are correct, the tank is only viewable from the top. i have had other things in the tank with personality (lion fish) that interacted well thru the top viewing window, so i dont think it will be a big issue. if it turns out to be an issue, i can always mod the front of the table by putting in a viewing window there as well.

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about any of that. :smile:
    Lots of fish interact with people the same way cuttles do - my young bangaiis come over to the front of the tank when they see me enter
    the room just like cuttles do, as do my fish in my reef tank.
    If the tank is in a busy space, viewing only from the top may actually be better for the cuttles as not to startle them.

:grin:

5. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:goofysca: ok... I guess Ill swallow my words, sorry, as I said, I havent kept cuttles yet, but hope to. Im just speaking through impressions others have given me. as for the "pet" part, i meant more of the playing with you, go fetch, tug'o'war type pet. I know that fish do have personality, but don't listen to me, sorry again. :silenced:

6. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Love that reef! Makes me wanna upgrade my 150...already!

So are your lights on the clam/cuttle tank on the side?

7. Octodude

Octodude Blue Ring Registered

ice reef my friend. I wish I had the money (and stability) to keep a reef like that right now. Congrats, looks great.
    :grin:

I always prefered a tank for my cuttles that I could see into from any angle, but that is personal preference. You can see them interacting in a much more personal matter that way.

8. hobogato

thanks for the comments :smile:

the lights are inside the top, hidden by the wooden frame around the top. the whole top opens up. ill get you a pic when i get home from work.

9. hobogato

last night, i built this acrylic tank and cabinet (havent finished the molding yet) to house the live shrimp i will be keeping to feed them. it will be plumbed into the sump/fuge on christy's 180 gallon lps display.
    tank - it is 16"x16"x16" or about 18 gallons.
    [​IMG]
    installed in cabinet
    [​IMG]
    the cuttles arrived this morning - one male and one female, 3.5 months old
    here they are floating
    [​IMG]
    here they are just after release - sorry for the pic quality, only actincs on here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is the more active one this afternoon, the other one is hiding under a rock ledge
    [​IMG]
    here is a quick video
    [​IMG]

10. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

They look good, hope they are warming up well to their new home.

11. hobogato

they seem to be doing ok, but they are staying hidden most of the time right now.

12. hobogato

caught them napping on top of the powerhead sponge, i love how they take up the texture as well as the color :smile:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Paradox

looking good! They will be more interactive once they are comfortable.

14. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

the clam -cuttle tanks design is really different :) did u make it urself?

15. hobogato

yep, i built everything on that system except the 240 gallon display tank. it is kindof a play on the old coffee table fish tank idea from the 70's, only it has all the filtration of the sps reef. the table is made to match our other living room furniture, and some people who visit never even see that it is a fish tank until i point it out - even when they are sitting right next to it :smile:

16. hobogato

unfortunately, i brought in one last clam just before getting the cuttles. it was a wild one and from vietnam, so over the next couple of months, all of my clams died. i will wait 6 months or so before introducing any new clams...

on a more positive note, the cuttles are doing great! they are now begging for food, and showing all kinds of displays. captured a bit on video last night, but before i got them eating, the camera battery died. i will try again tonight for that. what i have for you now is three terrible videos (they are only really active when the tank is dimly lit, so it is difficult for the camera to stay focused).

in this one, you can see them begging me to feed them. they actually come up to the top and stick their tentacles out of the water
    [​IMG]
    here is another one of that behavior
    [​IMG]
    here is the hunting display of waves of color
    [​IMG]

17. kar93

kar93 Pygmy Octopus Registered

Very nice, I like the idea of the top down look. Good luck!

18. hobogato

was doing some cleaning yesterday and found a clutch of eggs. they have been mating for a couple of weeks, but i didnt think they were ready to have eggs yet. i counted at least 60 eggs and all are nicely inflated - some are smaller than others

here is a cruddy pic - actinic lights on only, so had to adjust the pic to get the detail

this is most of the eggs, they will be divided into two or three net breeders when i get some more net breeders
    [​IMG]

there is another rock that has about 8 more that will go into another net breeder

19. Paradox

Nice, can I ask about your water parameters?

20. hobogato

sure, but i havent tested anything in a long time...... remember, this tank is plumbed into my 240 gallon sps reef with a 100 gallon sump and beckett skimmer. the whole system (about 400 gallons) has been running for 2.5 years, but the rock and sand have been in one tank or another of mine for about 8 years.

is there something i should test for in particular that could be out of whack that wouldnt affect corals and fish?

[edit] i do have an aquacontroller to keep tabs on the pH (runs 8 to 8.4) and the ORP which is running 300 to 320. i also have calcium and kalk reactors running which keep alk at around 10 dKh and calcium around 450 ppm. i also run a chiller to keep the temp at 78 - 79 deg F. last time i checked (a few months ago) my ammonia and nitrite were zero with just a trace of nitrate - since changing the clam tank to house cuttles by adding lots of different types of macro algae, my ORP has actually come up a bit and i think the nitrates have probably come down even more.