• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttles and Amphipods

Absolutely. The pods should be around 1/2 the size of the cuttles. It seems that as they approach same size, the cuttlefish are afraid or annoyed by them. Mass seems to be more important than overall length, but only generalizing here.
Once your cuttlefish reach 3/4" or so, they'll take the adult (1/2") reef amphipods that frequent our sumps.

me too. the only learning curve i had to deal with was how to keep the tiny pods from finding the cracks and crevices in the corners of the breeder net when they were introduced to the cuttles. a little hot glue solved that problem.
i suspect that perhaps the aversion some people have to feeding pods to the cuttles, right away, is that they rarely see cuttles strike and eat them. i have a cuttle who only eats at night, mostly, because thats when the pods are active. mysids are easier, and they are entertaining because you get to see the cuttles eat, but im not sure they are really a better food supply for tiny cuttles. that said, i am going to order some when my eggs start to hatch for a little variety. that and so i can try to get my currently voracious cuttle to eat some frozen mysids introduced along with a couple live.

I prefer to use mysids as the first food because they are easier to catch. I have seen pods pull out of a cuttles grasp. As the cuttles learn to hunt more effectively, switching to amphipods is no problem.

I would say yes. The hatchlings are only around 1/4" at this point. It is easier to keep some mysids concentrated near / with the cuttlefish if they are all confined, rather than having the whole tank to roam around in (and look for food).
I kept my first 5 / 6 in a 2.5g aga with a screened bulkhead, inside a 40g sump.

snowmaker;158907 said:
I would say yes. The hatchlings are only around 1/4" at this point. It is easier to keep some mysids concentrated near / with the cuttlefish if they are all confined, rather than having the whole tank to roam around in (and look for food).
I kept my first 5 / 6 in a 2.5g aga with a screened bulkhead, inside a 40g sump.

Absolutely. Even more, you'll be able to keep track of the cuttles. A 24 gallon nano is a big place to try to find animals .5 inches long. After about 3 months, the cuttles will stop being so benthic, and will be easier to track. That said, if you have only sand in the 24, you should be ok. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back