• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish tankmates

as far as I know cuttlefish need a more tropical temperature and at least some lighting, while Nautilus need very cold temperatures and a near dark environment. Nautilus also require a large amount of vertical height to the tank. I would doubt that they could co exist, or that anyone has ever tried to cohabitate them

cuttlefish can be kept in groups though.

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-475.html

if you follow that link you find a near ancient (heh) thread of someone who kept a cuttle and Nautilus in a tank made for the cuttle. You'll find the Nautilus died suddenly likely due to high temp or pressure issues...again Nautilus are from a much different environment from a cuttle. Perhaps if you described your tank setup people would be more capable of advice to prep you for a Nautilus or cuttle. There is at least one very nice website that sells them(I believe the owner is actualy a member of this forum) and the fact nobody gave you a link could largely be to the fact they don't know much about you.

hopefully whoever wrote started that thread might still be around and can chime in on interaction between the two species.

You might just be looking at snails, hermits and serpent starfish. Sepia bandensis, depending on the system size and dimensions, can be kept in groups. Inverts if you are talking about shrimp, crabs, etc....they are just "food" for the taking. You could keep a clam, again dimensions/size are important.

For a trio you would most likely be looking at a 55 gallon tank. So as not to mislead, adding a clam will add cost to your setup as clams require MH lighting or equivalent and that isn't needed for the cuttles. In case you haven't had a chance to read it yet, here is the link to a great article written by Paradox which will give you a lot of info. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/index.php There are other great articles at the top of the cuttle forum. There is a lot more to the setup and it takes time. If you are just starting it would take in my mind about 3 months to say your tank is setup and has cycled. If you haven't done a reef tank yet, you might be jumping into the deepend too quick.

Are you just now in the planning stages?

Omega;150827 said:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-475.html

if you follow that link you find a near ancient (heh) thread of someone who kept a cuttle and Nautilus in a tank made for the cuttle. You'll find the Nautilus died suddenly likely due to high temp or pressure issues...again Nautilus are from a much different environment from a cuttle. Perhaps if you described your tank setup people would be more capable of advice to prep you for a Nautilus or cuttle. There is at least one very nice website that sells them(I believe the owner is actualy a member of this forum) and the fact nobody gave you a link could largely be to the fact they don't know much about you.

hopefully whoever wrote started that thread might still be around and can chime in on interaction between the two species.

Yeah - the naut died in less than 3 weeks!

CaptFish;150932 said:
Do you have a tank now?

yes I have lots. All sizes. I am not planning on getting A cuttle fish now. It will take me A while to get the tank ready. I just need to know the recommended tank size. minimum and maximum.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back