• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish Salinity?

Fun Fun Fun, The Sand bed is in place, along with min Live rock, I have the 50+ Gal tank cycled for the past 6 months. Sand is "Sugar Sand ", Salinity is 1.026. using a 20 gal wet/dry filter(little over kill...BUT...)extra Pro Skimmer. Have the tank setup below my AC vent, keeps the H2O between 72-74F. lighting, that I will change if needed, Lighting is: "Eclipse" f18T8 Nat ...I think should be down sized, with a timer at set at ??
Nice start?
all info will be helpfull!
PB

Octopets is selling officinalis from what I heard, In the wild, they normally reach 18" (ML) as previously stated,but in captivity they only get to about 1' . Even then, it will need a roughly 200gal tank.

The ideal temprature is around 20 celcius If I'm not mistake. Not sure what that is in farenheit... As for salinity, 1.026 is good for them. Check out Colin's cuttlefish basics articles, plenty of stuff on officinalis.

DHyslop said:
I think Octopets sells S. officianalis. I'm not yet a cuttle keeper but I think they grow to somewhere around 18"?

Officianalis? I thought they raised bandensis there. Just went to the Octopets site - they have them simply listed as "cuttlefish".

Not sure what I will get, but will let you know when I get it. Upgraded today with a RO/DI filter system, Love this stuff! Just in time for the Cuttlefish delivery.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back