• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish safe or not

mcmusashi5

GPO
Registered
hi im planning to get a dwarf cuttlefish but i need to know if the tank is good for it. i have a 50 gal tank with a filter and protein skimmer its not cycled but i dont plan to put it in now. about 50 pounds of rock. so is this good.:smile:

If you are sufficiently experienced with marine tank cycling and have good sources for cured live rock (make sure the rock is always submerged and handled like a live animal), then you can do it in less time. The best way is to test your tank water every day to see when it's done cycling. One thing is a sure bet though, if you rush the process, you'll regret it. I've done this enough to know that throwing animals in a tank prematurely will lead to disaster and having to start all over again. It's expensive and a complete waste of time. Take it slow, do it right. Is your tank cycling right now?

spinycheek;140109 said:
If you are sufficiently experienced with marine tank cycling and have good sources for cured live rock (make sure the rock is always submerged and handled like a live animal), then you can do it in less time. The best way is to test your tank water every day to see when it's done cycling. One thing is a sure bet though, if you rush the process, you'll regret it. I've done this enough to know that throwing animals in a tank prematurely will lead to disaster and having to start all over again. It's expensive and a complete waste of time. Take it slow, do it right. Is your tank cycling right now?
thanks for all your help

Im still sorta new to the Marine system (but do have many years study in Aquaculture under my belt) so those in the know with experience in there belt correct me if im wrong

was thinking if MC has a pre-cycled tank loaded with live rock then it should just be a matter of using some cycled rock in the 20g and slowly re-adding uncycled live rock to the old system (I personally wouldn't take more 50% from the cycled tank)

with reduced feeding and possibly a slightly higher WC schedule for the older tank for a few weeks this should enable an immediate option to getting the new tank up and running

In theory you're right. In practice, moving rocks around disturbs the microbial populations as well as kills off some life and you need to allow sufficient time for them to settle again. It can be done this way, but it is not ideal. If you've got the time, then rushing the process is an unnecessary risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back