• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish reef?

Pie

Cuttlefish
Registered
Would the light from a metal halide or any other bright light for a reef aquarium possibly make the cuttlefish loose eye sight?

This was an old thought that likely came from the lack of understanding about natural life span and senescence and has been eliminated as being a problem.

dwhatley;159509 said:
This was an old thought that likely came from the lack of understanding about natural life span and senescence and has been eliminated as being a problem.

So It shouldn't be in a reef tank

I am confused :old: about your question. What shouldn't be in a reef tank? If you are asking if MH is a problem for cuttles, the answer is no, it appears to be fine.

dwhatley;159517 said:
I am confused :old: about your question. What shouldn't be in a reef tank? If you are asking if MH is a problem for cuttles, the answer is no, it appears to be fine.

Oh sorry, I ment if I was to set up a reef tank and used a 250 watt metal halide, would the light blind or damage the cuttlefish? (specifically sepia bandensis)

I'm not a cuttle keeper so I am a little out of water on how much lighting is too much. I do know that it is recommended that you provide overhangs and darker areas if you use high lighting so you would want to arrange your corals to take advantage of the light but leave areas of lower light and plenty of rock overhangs that provide shadow. Hopefully one of our cuttlefish members will bring some experience to the design thoughts.

I use a 150w MH over my nano reef thats only about 6 inches off the water. Thats pretty bright and they dont seem to be bothered at all. They spend most of their time at mid water behind a rock face out of direct lighting but dont hesitate to hang out at the surface if there is something of interest going on. So, IMO...they might want some shades but they wont go blind.

Thanks Makookam, I have read enough to know the old idea that lights blinded cephs (this was thought to apply to octos, where I have some experience, too) but how much light and how much shade needs to come from some of you guys that get to observe them in person.

MAKOOKAM;159527 said:
I use a 150w MH over my nano reef thats only about 6 inches off the water. Thats pretty bright and they dont seem to be bothered at all. They spend most of their time at mid water behind a rock face out of direct lighting but dont hesitate to hang out at the surface if there is something of interest going on. So, IMO...they might want some shades but they wont go blind.

What about a 250 watt MH?

When I get my rock I'll make sure to get some so I can make some caves/cliffs.

Like i was saying, my 150w is right on the water so the intensity is way up there. i cant see how a 250 would be any different. If your corals can take it I'm betting the cuttles would have no issues.

MAKOOKAM;159605 said:
Like i was saying, my 150w is right on the water so the intensity is way up there. i cant see how a 250 would be any different. If your corals can take it I'm betting the cuttles would have no issues.

Okay, Thanks ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back