Cuttlefish: Long or tall?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Flake, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Flake

Flake Larval Mass Registered

I'm toying with the idea of looking into cuttlefish. I really am trying to gather all the info I possibly can about them. I can't seem to find the answer to a big question I have. I can find tank size, but not ideal tank dimensions. Would cuttles do well in a tall tank? I have a 56 that was set up for a while and due to moving issues, is now distinctly empty. I had plans to set up another reef, but the idea of cuttles sounds much more interesting.

The tank is a 56g tank, but it's tall. Dimensions are weird: 30-1/4"L x 18-1/4"W x 57-7/16"H. Would cuttles thrive in a tank this size or would they prefer a longer tank. I feel like they seem to spend a lot of time on the ground, so my gut says maybe not, but it never hurts to ask. :cuttle:

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to TONMO

I'm not a cuttle expert, octopuses are my thing but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer you question. I know that in all our current setups everyone is running a standard tank dimensions, Nothing really tall like yours.

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Its more species specific. Your tank would be find for S. bandensis - the most likely cuttle you will get in the US.

4. Flake

Flake Larval Mass Registered

I was looking at s. bandensis. I should have mentioned. I just wanted to make sure there was enough ground real estate for them.