• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in Northern VA?

Jake,
Unfortunately, "breeders" does not apply well to cephs, even cuttles. A number of years ago there was a commercial business that attempted to raise cephs for resale but the company did not make it. Most eggs will either be imported or come from individuals with first generation animals that have produced eggs. We don't see many (any?) second or third generation eggs even from individual keepers.

Eggs seem to do well in shipping. Watching the availability forum (you can subscribe and get an email when someone posts), looking for other ceph sections in some of the larger forums and watching for eggs in local fish stores (not usually found in the chain stores) that receive imported animals from Indonesia or the Phillipines are the most common way to find them. You might also check in with any local aquarium clubs to see if there is anyone in your area that keeps them.

dwhatley;160330 said:
Jake,
Unfortunately, "breeders" does not apply well to cephs, even cuttles. A number of years ago there was a commercial business that attempted to raise cephs for resale but the company did not make it. Most eggs will either be imported or come from individuals with first generation animals that have produced eggs. We don't see many (any?) second or third generation eggs even from individual keepers.

So your saying there haven't been captive born cuttles that have been fertile?

The generation we seem to not see is captive eggs from adults who were also captive eggs. This may be more of a hobbiest interest issue than viability. We definitely see eggs from animals raised from wild collected eggs but the next generation, as well as difficulty adding new genes to the pool is where we appear to break down. It would be nice to see snowmakers group mix mated and continue. It is the viability of eggs from these newest hatchlings that is the generation I meant to note as the primary stopping point.

gotcha. hopefully, within another year, this will change. im mostly interested in the long term viability of a line of cuttles. markushka and myself will be trading back and forth once ours are developed and healthy enough to mate. together we have six from snowmaker and one from paradise pets. we can only hope the one from parsdise pets is a male.

:thumbsup:
A long term interest and active group would be especially nice. Eventually, I may try them in my largest tank (that is the least interesting and the pits to clean) but the current residents are a long way from dieing and catching them to put them in another tank is not happening.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back