• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in a pool!

My frend's dad's friend, (or maby it was my friend's dad's friend's friend:confused: ) is well... loaded. and since my friends dad (or maby my friend's dad's friend) breeds what i believe to be sepia officianalis, the loaded guy boaght adult, and extremely expensive, sepia officionalis to put in his heated saline pool for a party. what did he do after the party you may ask? he GOT RID OF THEM:shock: :shock: . how i do not know though.

if he kept them though i'm not sure if that would be entirely ethical

And yes i know that such a source as "my friend's dad's friend" may not be exactly accurate.

Sepia Officionalis is commonly eaten, keeping one decoratively for a fewdaysis not unethical, now had he been doing that with something like a leafy sea dragon the story would be different.

Getting something to show off for a party and then getting rid of it is highly unethical.

Kinda like raising a beautiful Pit Bull just so it can be torn to pieces in a fight.

Comparing this to dog fighting doesn't make sense. He was not buying this animal to injure it, just as a decoration. I would say what he did with it after would decide how ethical it was (did he throw it in a dumpster? did he eat it (I wouldn't consider eating it unethical BTW) ) I do believe it was pompous and stupid to buy an animal because it looked good without an idea as to how to care for it. It also borders on the line of unethical for me, but not quite. Of course, ethics are a touchy subject and no 2 people outlook on it are the same.

Dan

Bob reported that this fellow breeds them, so chances arethat he sent them to a good place.

Its very hard for me to see the difference between renting a captive raised animal for a party and eating a bunch of captive raised animals at a party.

Diff? Well.....ummm....one is dead, and one isn't. Actually I believe it goes a little deeper than that. Food. Things are easier to mentally digest (HAHAHA) when they are food. They are dead, and they are meant for consumption. There meats are not going to waste, so i don't particularly see a problem with eating a captive bred animal. Not endangered. besides, by keeping an animal you don't know about for decoration, you are putting that animal at risk, and could be putting it in a particularly harmful situation, and since it is alive it is wrong. I believe I don't find this highly unethical because while the intent was stupid, the actions didn't hurt anything. That is an unusual stance for me because I often find myself more dependant on intent rather than action, but morals are a very confusing ground so there is little point into thinking about it way too much....

Dan

The animals we eat weren't always dead, and they way they are kept until they are killed seems exponentially more disturbing than what was proportedly done to the cuttlefish above. They way food animals are killed leaves a lot to be desired as well. It is also worth mentioning that the amount of food that is thrown away after a big party is massive, which means that lots of animals are going to waste.

As a society we tend ignore what happens to billions of food animals because we really want to eat them cheaply while we focus on what does happen to a few more visible animals. It seems to me that if its ok to treat captive bred food animals so terribly, then it seems it should be ok to treat other captive bred animals less terribly (and this is avoiding the entire discussion of using captive bred cephs as research animals or the million plus domestic dogs and cats that are killed each week and then destroyed).

It think ethics discussions are critical to the world as a whole and I don't think they happen enough. I think that ethics can be confusing and there is great benefit to the world in thinking about it too much, but thats my education talking. :biggrin2:

So what is the difference between keeping them in a tank their whole lives to have the be happy and beautiful or keeping them in a tank for several months to be happy and beautiful, then moving them to a pool for a few days to be happy and beautiful, then moving them to a tank again to be happy and beautiful? Are you arguing that its unethical to move them? Or that there beuaty should not be shared at a party, when ever I have friends over I show ff my tank, should I be covering it up? I actually moved my clams to impress people who came over for a party once, does the 15 Degree tilt I put on them make me a bad person because of it?

But the odds are that his "saline pool" did not meet the requirements for keeping the cuttles. The pool most likely wasn't kept cool enough, and the "partiers" probably harassed the poor things, and swam with them, and poured beer into the pool, etc. When people get drunk...well, you know.

Jean;97575 said:
I'm assuming that the "saline pool" was a swimming pool? If so then it probably contained chlorine to keep it looking pretty, not nice to live in I should think.

J

There's some weird trend around here of using "saline pools" instead of "chlorinated pools" lately... It's not clear why they think salt water will be as effective as chlorine or bromine at killing pathogens; "safe for swimming" seems to be at odds with "appropriate salinity for cuttles"-- from this link: http://www.salinepoolsystems.com/learn_more.htm (take with a grain of salt [sic] as it's a sales pitch) it sounds like it's way less salt than marine levels, and there's a device that splits the NaCl into just Cl somehow (I didn't read far enough to see what happens to the sodium part) providing chlorination in some "better" way. I would hope that if one were putting cuttles in, one would turn off the salt-splitting gadget and leave it long enough for the chlorine to outgas, and get the salinity up to seawater. However, it'd still be an uncycled, unfiltered (albeit large) tank, so it wouldn't be healthy for them for long...

ok first of all i know several people with these saline pools....

the salinity is only around .001 not even close enough to keep saltwater inverts including cuttles alive...

second... they also add alot of other chemicals that keep the algea down that kills everything including frogs so i doubt that a cuttle could have survived...

so in my opinion stupid waste of money and a perfectly good cuttle... next time your dads friend wants to do something like that just have him send them to me instead

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back