• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish help

Reefergeorge;186728 said:
I really need to get a different camera, but I tried taking a few pics tonight. I have eight babies growing like crazy and they all are eating frozen mysis.. Hopefully all eight live and I can rehome five of them.
IMG_20120212_003559.jpg

IMG_20120212_004641.jpg

Looks like your cuttles are doing great. Can you help me? I have tried three times to get hatched cuttles to eat but never do and they die within a week. Got one one my nano right now and 4 in eggs. Want to be able to get them to eat. Using live mysid and live brine. Thanks

Mark Forster;188397 said:
Looks like your cuttles are doing great. Can you help me? I have tried three times to get hatched cuttles to eat but never do and they die within a week. Got one one my nano right now and 4 in eggs. Want to be able to get them to eat. Using live mysid and live brine. Thanks

How big is your nano? Please, please do not offer them live brine. It is best not to have food available all day long for the cuttles. Offer mysids a few times a day.

When your other cuttlefish hatched, did they still have a yolk sac attached to the front of their tentacles? What are the parameters of your tank?

Cuttlefish help

Hi there,
I'm new to the cuttlefish craze. I'm having a problem keeping them alive. I have eggs, they hatch, and die soon afterwards (usually within two weeks). I have live brine and mysis for them to eat but can't figure out what the problem is. Got any advice? Thanks

Cuttlefish help

cuttlegirl;188398 said:
How big is your nano? Please, please do not offer them live brine. It is best not to have food available all day long for the cuttles. Offer mysids a few times a day.

When your other cuttlefish hatched, did they still have a yolk sac attached to the front of their tentacles? What are the parameters of your tank?

I have the eggs in a hatchery in a 15 gallon nano. No the ones that hatch didn't have a recognizable yolk sac attached. Seems I could see only their tantacles with a magnifying glass.

I attempt to only feed with mysis. The brine are to keep the live mysis from eating each other.

Can you verify your salinity levels in your tank? Ross' article says it should be at 34.5 ppt. Sounds high since fish are supposed to be kept at atound .023-.026 That may be my problem. Advise?

I have great success at keeping a good brood of various fish (11) in a separate but tied into tank with the nano.

If the salinity has to be that high I would need to raise it slowly for my fish to be able to take the rise or just separate the nano altogether.

Many cephalopods are extremely sensitive to salinity fluctuations and they do REQUIRE a salinity right around 35ppt. Rich has a green thumb, or whatever color you call it for cuttlefish, so I would stick with his salinity. Fishes are entirely different than cuttlefish. I would suggest a separate nano if you need to raise the salinity. Outside of that, are the hatchlings feeding on the mysid?

Greg

Can you give the parameters of the entire system? Do you have a protein skimmer? What kind of filtration are you using? What was ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature? How big are the other tanks tied to the system?

cuttlegirl;188947 said:
Can you give the parameters of the entire system? Do you have a protein skimmer? What kind of filtration are you using? What was ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature? How big are the other tanks tied to the system?

Yes, I have a protein skimmer. Filtration system is a 30 gallon sump with live rock, sand. I only have a strip tester for ammonia and nitrate and test normal. Temp is around 79 deg. The Main fish tank is a 75 gallon bowfront with 9 fish inside. Also I have 6 gallon bowfront with dragon pipefish in it. The 15 gallon tank has no fish but plenty of copopods.

I currently have 6 eggs in a hatchery inside the 15 gallon tank. I am trying to stabalize a separate 5 gallon bucket to hold the live mysis the cuttlefish will require. It's salinity is at .022 with a heater/aerator set at 78 deg.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back