Cuttlefish help

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Mark Forster, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Mark Forster

Mark Forster Cuttlefish Registered

Looks like your cuttles are doing great. Can you help me? I have tried three times to get hatched cuttles to eat but never do and they die within a week. Got one one my nano right now and 4 in eggs. Want to be able to get them to eat. Using live mysid and live brine. Thanks

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

How big is your nano? Please, please do not offer them live brine. It is best not to have food available all day long for the cuttles. Offer mysids a few times a day.

When your other cuttlefish hatched, did they still have a yolk sac attached to the front of their tentacles? What are the parameters of your tank?

3. Mark Forster

Cuttlefish help

Hi there,
    I'm new to the cuttlefish craze. I'm having a problem keeping them alive. I have eggs, they hatch, and die soon afterwards (usually within two weeks). I have live brine and mysis for them to eat but can't figure out what the problem is. Got any advice? Thanks

4. Mark Forster

You should be already attempting to feed frozen mysis. They will eat is when coached to break them of the need for live mysis.

5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Mark i moved all your posts to their own thread. You should get a better response this way.

DWhatley likes this.
  6. Mark Forster

Cuttlefish help

I have the eggs in a hatchery in a 15 gallon nano. No the ones that hatch didn't have a recognizable yolk sac attached. Seems I could see only their tantacles with a magnifying glass.

I attempt to only feed with mysis. The brine are to keep the live mysis from eating each other.

Can you verify your salinity levels in your tank? Ross' article says it should be at 34.5 ppt. Sounds high since fish are supposed to be kept at atound .023-.026 That may be my problem. Advise?

I have great success at keeping a good brood of various fish (11) in a separate but tied into tank with the nano.

If the salinity has to be that high I would need to raise it slowly for my fish to be able to take the rise or just separate the nano altogether.

7. Mark Forster

Thanks Dae. How do I find it?

8. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Many cephalopods are extremely sensitive to salinity fluctuations and they do REQUIRE a salinity right around 35ppt. Rich has a green thumb, or whatever color you call it for cuttlefish, so I would stick with his salinity. Fishes are entirely different than cuttlefish. I would suggest a separate nano if you need to raise the salinity. Outside of that, are the hatchlings feeding on the mysid?

Greg

9. Mark Forster

No, they all died. Either never hatched or died rather soon. Do you know if the ppt read as .035 on a salinity gauge?

10. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I believe you are confusing parts per thousand (ppt) with spacific gravity (sg) 34.5 ppt is ~1.026 sg (HERE is a conversion program) for future reference.

11. Mark Forster

Thanks a bunch!

12. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Can you give the parameters of the entire system? Do you have a protein skimmer? What kind of filtration are you using? What was ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature? How big are the other tanks tied to the system?

13. Mark Forster

Yes, I have a protein skimmer. Filtration system is a 30 gallon sump with live rock, sand. I only have a strip tester for ammonia and nitrate and test normal. Temp is around 79 deg. The Main fish tank is a 75 gallon bowfront with 9 fish inside. Also I have 6 gallon bowfront with dragon pipefish in it. The 15 gallon tank has no fish but plenty of copopods.

14. Mark Forster

I currently have 6 eggs in a hatchery inside the 15 gallon tank. I am trying to stabalize a separate 5 gallon bucket to hold the live mysis the cuttlefish will require. It's salinity is at .022 with a heater/aerator set at 78 deg.

15. brent&kitty420

brent&kitty420 O. bimaculoides Registered

They start to look deflated right before hatching then over the next few days they eat the yoke sack after that they need live mysis

16. Mark Forster

Cuttle feed

So far the Mysis culture is stable. My main concern for my cuttlefish is to maintain a constant source of food for them. One of my six eggs have hatched and I am feeding the Mysis to it. all seems well so far.

17. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

1.022 (29.2ppt) is too low and is probably your problem. I keep salinity between 33.5 and 35 ppt, and get nervous when it gets lower than 33 ppt. Some people recommend keeping fish at lower salinities to help fight certain diseases, but I think that should be a treatment, not a constant. Keeping it low certainly is not necessary and is not good for cephs. Good luck.

Rich Ross

18. Mark Forster

Some one is using the name Mark Forster and I can tell you that IS NOT ME!!! So whoever is using it please stop!!!! I only have a few posts and newly joined TONMO.

19. Mark Forster

AH!! Never mind the last post. This was a thread from two years ago and I simply forgot it was mine.

tonmo and DWhatley like this.
  20. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

:roflmao: welcome back! :biggrin2: