• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish from octopets..........?

Hi greg

Its always Tropic Marin I use for water changes. Luckily I have a trade account so big water changes never hurts too much compared with buying salt out of a shop.

If i lived a bit closer to the coast i would be tempted to collect my own. a local wholesaler used to do that but stopped during the 90s, he had a big wipeout after a water change.

When i had the big cuttle tank i pretty much always had a 5 gal bucket with ready to go salt water in it. I could do a daily 5 gal water change if i needed to. Was actually much easier than mixing up 40gals for a 20% change every month.

Cheers

Righty breeds Sepia bandensis. If you PM him i'm sure he will help.

I've kept Sepia officinalis for about 6 years now and have had them brought in as adults and breed or brought in as eggs and hatched. I've currently got some captive bred specimins and some captive eggs (which may not be fertile actually...).

Two of them will outgrow a 30 gal tank by the time they are around 4-5 months or about 5 inhces when they will start to kick seven bells out of each other for space. They are nasty animals and will quite happily kill each other for dominance.

Cuttles are pretty awkward to keep in captivity really if you have more than one in my opinion. If they are happy they are generally burried in the sand and not displaying much. If they are in the water column then they are hungry and thats when they will start to attack each other. I have some (my captive bred breeders) which are about 18 months old and around 10" in length, they are fed around 4-6 times daily on sprat, crab, prawn and anything else that i've got lying around. I did get my last batch of new borns eating gel diet but no one did it when i went away for a few weeks and when i got back they had stopped. SOmething worth looking into though.

I use natural sea water on mine and flow through 24/7 which means that i dont really need a skimmer on the tank as it keeps itself fairly clean which is always a bonus.

At the size yours are at the moment as well they will be producing sticky ink which will float around in a ball, only if they get really annoyed will they cloud up your tank so bare in mind that you can net or siphon it out qithout worrying too much at the moment. When they become a little larger they will ink every timne you breathe and will make the water black as the night.

Good luck with your cuttles though, lets get some pictures posted!

~Andy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back