• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eggs??

A third cuttle hatched out last night. I got some algae (after searching all over town) and put in there, but they have not gone over to hide in it yet. Their activity level is up from yesterday; however, they are still not eating (I am keeping the tigger-pods in there at all times). I have mysis and amphipods coming in the mail. I would have had them already, but I was not expecting the eggs to hatch four days after I got them.

KDS;93092 said:
A third cuttle hatched out last night. I got some algae (after searching all over town) and put in there, but they have not gone over to hide in it yet. Their activity level is up from yesterday; however, they are still not eating (I am keeping the tigger-pods in there at all times). I have mysis and amphipods coming in the mail. I would have had them already, but I was not expecting the eggs to hatch four days after I got them.

:biggrin2: You know those babies, they never do what you want them to do!!! But, that said, anyone ordering cuttlefish eggs should have the food available at the same time they get the eggs, so that you are prepared. Kind of like making sure you have diapers before you bring the baby home from the hospital...

I got the eggs from SeaCrop. Another one hatched last night; that is a total of four babies now. They have gone in the algae, so maybe they will grab some copepods.

I got five eggs in the cluster.

I put the mysis in there, but none of the babies are going after them. Is this normal? Will they start hunting eventually, or did I do something wrong? The cuttles have been moving and some are changing colors, but I cannot see any actually eating.

You kept yours in a net breeder, right? I put mine in a plastic kritter keeper with holes in the side (in the net breeder the eggs kept floating around), so the mysid can eventually escape. My mom suggested moving the cuttles to a net breeder now that they have hatched, but I thought this would stress them out.

This morning, though, I saw that one of the babies came out of the grass and had moved over to where the mysis had gathered the night before. Maybe he was eating???

Also, are the baby cuttles suppose to be able to swim and jet just like the adults? The one that was out this morning seem to have little control of his movement.

Two of the babies died, and one of them (we think) was the one that was eating??? I'm not sure how the others are doing. I have no idea if they are eating or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back