• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eggs

cuttlegirl;88491 said:
Baby A has been laying eggs for 5 months now (since Sept. 25th). All three cuttles still look good and are eating well.

Hi,
Just an FYI about the eggs I got. Two of the eggs definitely weren't viable, a little sad. So far I can see two are developing quite nicely and look like they should be hatching soon. Some of the ink has move off of the egg case and you can see the baby cuttle inside. I'm so excited! I'll let you know how it goes.
Ed

elaflam;89006 said:
Hi,
Just an FYI about the eggs I got. Two of the eggs definitely weren't viable, a little sad. So far I can see two are developing quite nicely and look like they should be hatching soon. Some of the ink has move off of the egg case and you can see the baby cuttle inside. I'm so excited! I'll let you know how it goes.
Ed

:sad:
I'm sad to report that the eggs did not make it. They developed a small hole then a clear sac extended out from the egg. The embryo didn't look fully developed yet and I saw no movement from them. When I came home from work the clear extension had collapsed and the eggs decreased in size. I didn't see any cuttle in the breeder. Over the next few days the eggs clouded over. But I haven't given up and will try again.:smile:

:sad: Dont feel bad i had one hatch out of five.When i first got them i cut down the water flow across the eggs cuse i was scared that them bouncing around would cause damage.I noticed the eggs started to look bad so i kicked up the flow again by then it was to late except for one.He is still kickin and over 3 inchs now.Maybe Thales can comment on how strong the waterflow should be.That is just my experince with cuttle eggs.

Dutch

No idea about the water flow. I have had eggs both hatch and not hatch will strong and weak flow.
Even with the imported eggs there is at least half that are no good. Sad.

Jennifer,

I am afraid mine did not even come close. I had three today that had split to reveal the yolk sack but no signs of an embryo. These were the only "round" ones. I have one that has lightened but is egg shaped and one that is tiny but still round and opaque. I was pretty sure mine were not going to hatch when elaflam reported being able to see into his eggs but was hoping that the dark environment and water temperature might have made mine a little slower to develop. I will leave the remaining eggs in the net until they split naturally but I cannot see into any of them and only the one is even a little lighter than when I first got them.

Hello,
I'm in the same boat as you Cuttlegirl. My pair just laid their first batch of about 20 eggs. I moved them to a separate breeder tank and noticed the pair mating again. I expect another batch soon. Let me know if you need a possible food source that might be cheaper to help on costs. Sach's ships 500 mysid for around 75 dollars. I also have a good seller in Florida that shipps Ghost Shrimp reasonable.
Sincerely,
CutleLove

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back