• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eating ghost shrimp: everything but the head

krakendorf

Hatchling
Registered
While feeding some cuttlefish, I have noticed some interesting behavior, and was wondering if anyone else has witnessed the same. After feeding a Sepia bandensis a ghost shrimp, which it begins eating from the back of the ghost shrimp to the front, it will sometimes "eject" the head of the ghost shrimp and become disinterested in it. I say eject because it doesn't simply drop the head, but propels it away. I have witnessed this behavior twice, and I am unsure whether it was the same cuttle behaving this way both times.

Has anyone else noticed or heard of similar behavior in their cuttlefish, or other cephalopods? If so, would you happen to know what it is that will make them likely to do this? They have eaten only ghost shrimp for the entirety of their lives, but are getting to the point where they are beginning to accept thawed krill (though they will release it when it does not come off the fishing line that is tied to the feeding stick).

The ghost shrimp are being fed fish flakes, which are visible near the dorsal side of their head. Perhaps it is this that is turning the cuttlefish off from that portion of the shrimp?

I doubt I would like to eat the head either. Makes sense :smile:

It's good to know about the changes in preferences, but another aspect of such an interesting animal.

Neal noticed a very odd eating behavior with Monty. He stripped and blew away the "vein" (waste channel) out of a piece of thawed shrimp.

I have noticed the same and can only suggest feeding shrimp that are slightly smaller(shorter than the mantle) than the cuttle. If you do this they will generally eat everything... The "coughing" a.k.a. launching of leftovers is done even if they eat the head.... Sometimes it will be just an opalescent cloud with a smidge of ink in it... or you may see some arms/fins of the shrimp.

It would be cool to see some pics of your cuttles if you have the time and want to start a journal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back