Cuttlefish displaying colors?

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by craigl, Jun 6, 2008.

1. craigl

craigl O. bimaculoides Registered

For the last week or two every night my largest cuttlefish has been displaying that dark "I'm a big mean cuttlefish" display while slowly swimming back and forth across the front of the tank while flaring its tentacles. This one is nearly twice the size of the other cuttle i have and the smaller one rarely ever displays that dark black coloration. Is this a territorial thing or is this some kinda of courtship dance/display to get the other one to mate? At what age would be normal to see cuttles mate?

2. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

If they do that at any point in time it means they are male. Usually the biggest cuttle will display the most - scaring the other ones. They should mate around 4 months.

3. craigl

If they dont mate by 4 months does that mean they arent going to or that they are the same sex? How lonmg after mating should you see eggs?

4. shipposhack

It all depends on how much food they are given. Growth and maturation rate are both highly influenced by food availability. I believe it was a little bit after 4 months that mine started mating, and I saw the first two clutches of eggs a couple of weeks ago (at 5.5 months). It is likely that water quality also has a fair amount to do with mating and egg-laying, and I believe that male:female ratio also plays a role.

5. craigl

Well that settles it! I just saw them mate!!! of coarse my regular camera battery was dead but i snapped some pics on my phone ill upload them asap!!

6. craigl

ok well here are the pics i got... I wish my DSLR had some battery life but oh well! At least i got to my cell phone in time :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. shipposhack

Nice!