• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish Conversation

Yes, that would be ideal - a "cyber-cuttle" one that can be controlled for pattern, posture, etc. This has been done very successfully for the jumping spider Portia to study it's complex signalling displays with "Cyber-Portia". The spider has excellent eyesight and responds back to it!

Oh, isn't it in "Incredible Suckers" at the NRCC, the S. officionalis watching itself on video? I was thinking I could record some segments of it's signalling on camcorder and play them back too...

erich orser said:
How did you manage to do that?

Well I was a bit mean..........I actually ..........cleaned his tank!!!!

And I have to say that occasionally when we have small children visiting, who have come just to see a real live octopus, I've woken him up (this species is primarily nocturnal!!) ....almost guaranteed to get an octopus shower then!!

Then there are the times when I wiggle my fingers at the surface of the tank to get his attention......some of the gestures must translate into a dire insult in octopusese :shock: because he has been known to jet to the surface and let fly with a couple of litres of seawater!!!

J

I'm with Cephkid on this one. Some nice feeding-time behind-the-scenes video would be great! Does the octopus start climbing out of the tank when hungry like some bigger ones do?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back