• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish compatibility

Zhonk

Hatchling
Registered
I know know there are two possible answers to the question I am about to aks: maybe or NO.
After some research I realy just love the idea of keeping bandensis cuttlefish in the 55 I have. The major problem is the current inhabitants, a purplish brown brittle star (I doubt this will be an issue) and a small saddle back clownfish. If I were to get some bandensis eggs, would the adults eat the clown?

:welcome: While the brittle star probably won't be a problem (unless it is carnivorous), I would not recommend the clownfish. You could keep the baby cuttlefish in net breeder until they get bigger. I kept my babies in a net breeder for the first month or two so that I could make sure they were eating. See if your LFS will trade you some hermit crabs for the clownfish.

Thanks you, that does sound like a smart idea. As a second question what modifications would I have to make to a coralife super skimmer and some pumps to make them cuttlesafe?

Hi,

Don't know if its of any interest but i keep bandensis and fish together in a 100g Reef Tank. 3 x bandensis (2 adults and 1 sub adult) and 1 x fox face 1 x kohl tang and 2 x brown striped cardinals. No problems to date!

Zhonk;102970 said:
Thanks you, that does sound like a smart idea. As a second question what modifications would I have to make to a coralife super skimmer and some pumps to make them cuttlesafe?

You might zip-tie or rubberband a sponge over the pumps intake.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back