• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish Availablity

They are tough to find!
Looking in Los Angeles......
If anyone has any good leads to cutle availability in or around L.A. I am in the market. Wai@seacrop hasn't any at the moment, so I don't know where to find them.
Thank you,

Brian in Southern California

Cuttlefish eggs

Hi, just for any of you looking for cuttle eggs, [email protected] has some in. I haven't the confidence in my ability to reliably get TINY live food for them, so I won't be pursuing it, but I thought some of you with better connections on that might find it useful.

lee_unthank;92392 said:
my email address is [email protected], BTW. Thanks

First make sure you can get live food year round. Second, there are several species of cuttles that can be found around Australia that might do good in captivity so if you are SCUBA cert. you can try to collect the brood stock yourself but make sure you have the required permits.

hello i am new as you can see by my posting and i live in california. i would love to raise a cuttlefish, but it is so hard around here. can some one give me tips for raising bandensis here (cause it looks like thats all ill be getting). and what size tank 1 bandensis needs. also if you could pm me with some more detail, like where to order them. i really want a cuttlefish, but if it is to hard i will get an octopus.

Seapia sp. availability

Seacrop (www.seacrop.com) is showing both eggs and cuttles available. KDS recently bought eggs that are hatching. I have placed an order for 3 of the cuttles to arrive on Thursday (and an order of Mysis from Paul :wink: ).

They are listed as Sepia Sp. My understanding is that this means that they don't know which species they are rather than being one of the unnamed species from Indonesia. The babies look like Jenn's bendensis but I expect most cuttle babies look similar. :razz:

Those are from PI and they are the same thing we have been calling bandensis for the last few years. All the eggs in the trade are coming from/have been coming from the same place. :biggrin2: I have 5 babies and some unhatched eggs from Seacrop.
Seacrop is a little expensive, but they are the only place that has them right now. If you order eggs from them make sure you tell them you would like any babies that hatch between now and the ship date (they are hatching so the egg clusters are getting smaller).
Also, I wish they would change their care description, but cest la vie.

They come in every year. I am working with an online retailer to set up some kind of responsible ceph sales including wc eggs, bought before collected cephs, and a distribution chain for captive born/raised cephs. We are actually hoping to have wc bandensis eggs in the next couple of weeks (actually been trying for the last month!)

That would be awesome! Something like that is what I would hope to get involved with, as soon as I'm able to get completely set up and successful with them. Contributing to the betterment of the species, and the hobby.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back