• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish and open top tanks

kinetic

Blue Ring
Registered
Is it dangerous to keep cuttlefish in open top tanks? Will they jump out/climb out?

My tank is about 100G, and I'll only be keeping 4 or 6 sepia bandensis.

thanks!

I have had one jump out....

Im not sure if this was a freak occurance, but it happened. The cuttle was in a custom made plexi section where no lip or cover was is present on the tank. I now have it covered with plastic egg crate.

They probably were chasing each other and one jetted a little too much in the wrong place...

if you are thinking of covering your tank, a lip around the tank will probably prevent this. you wont need an entire cover.

I have never had a problem with them jumping out. Paradox has the only instance I have heard of - at least with bandensis.

ok, I won't take drastic measures in "escape proofing" the tank. The tank already has a 3" eurobraced lip on it, so should be ok.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back