• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish and Human Interactions

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
So I've had nothing in my tank for two months now and am going a bit stir crazy. I really want to get another octopus in there, but finding one at this time is very difficult. I was wondering how much you can interact with cuttlefish, since I have a chance at getting some eggs. I love octopuses for their personalities as well, am I right in thinking that cuttles don't have personalities as distinct as octos?

Mine dont interact on the level that octos seem to interact with things/owners. They dont play with toys or deconstruct things. They dont come and investigate me unless they are looking for food (which is often). They dont shy away from my hands at all, but it really seems they just tolerate the presence of my hand and dont fear me. They certainly dont come looking for attention. They seem to me to be very "serious" animals. Food and sex and camouflage and everything else is secondary...but this is just my opinion on my interactions.

They will recognize you. Remember when feeding time is. Recognize the food container and are easily trained to take dead prey and take it from your hands...and they are really cool looking, out in the open a majority of the time, are great color changers and amazing predators. They are relentless killing machines.

Are they cuddly? No. Not in the least. :smile:

lol thanks, that's what I thought. While I would love to get some eventually, I really want another octopus at the moment. I guess I'll have to wait for the season to start again :sad:

Agree w/ makookam 100%
Mine were really curious (probably just hungry) whenever I got the mag float going. or had my hands in there cleaning glass or moving rock to vacuum substrate. They would let my hand or anything come to within 1/2 inch of them.
One thing I noticed early on is their natural calmness regarding being captured, and transferred.
DON'T USE A NET!
It's great they will swim right into a clear vessel and can remove them from the tank without them freaking out, They will actually take food at this point which shows, to me, that they do not stress easily, or they just get over it within a few seconds, and that food RULES in their eyes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back