• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle

aristocat

Cuttlefish
Registered
Do cuttles last longer then octopus? Will they ever accept frozen food? Are they cannabilistic? Are they generally fussier then octopus or are they the same but just have harder? I've been reaserching and have come to a conclusion that I am not ready but do most cuttlefish keepers start with octopi? how long do they keep them until they change to cuttles? what makes them so hard to obtain?:read:

No, their lifespan is about the same.

Yes, they sometimes accept frozen foods.

Yes, they can be cannabilistic.

I'm not sure what you're asking in the next question. They require pretty much the same thing as octopuses, but they don't climb out of tanks, and it's better to give them a very large tank so they have room to swim without bumping into things. I don't think people necessarily start with one or the other. It's just a matter of what's more interesting to that particular person.

.................................. they are hard to obtain because they aren't imported very often, at least in relation to say, clownfish.

some species seem to do best in large, cylindrical tanks, too, although bandensis, the most commonly kept ones for TONMO members because they don't get too big, seem to be fine in more normal-shaped tanks.

Adding detail to what AM said, they're not native to the ocean on either side of the U.S. so they all have to be imported from other parts of the world... although it's often easier to get foreign rather than domestic octopuses, too, so it's not clear why that should matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back