• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle tank setup qustions

killifish

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi everyone, I have a 55g tank that I have wanting to
set up for a pair of S. bandensis and was hoping
that someone would be able to tell me what size
filter and skimer would be up to the challenge of
cleaning up after their rather messy habits.

Thanks for any help:biggrin2:.

killifish;140376 said:
Hi everyone, I have a 55g tank that I have wanting to
set up for a pair of S. bandensis and was hoping
that someone would be able to tell me what size
filter and skimer would be up to the challenge of
cleaning up after their rather messy habits.

Thanks for any help:biggrin2:.

welll a protein skimmer like a coralife bakpak or remora would be perfect. any canister filter is perfect or if you wanna invest get a sump or you could DIY sump

Right now I have a spare Rena xP3 (with 350gph) that I thought about using, but I wasn't sure if that
would be way too much or not :confused: .

Thanks for the quick response mc:mrgreen:!

I wouldn't bother with a canister filter. Just invest in a half decent skimmer, remora and coralife are pretty low quality. Vertex and Octopus (brand) are decent options if you're on a budget.

I am pretty new to cuttlefish keeping but I'm surprised to see many people take a fresh water fish approach to setting up enclosures for them when I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be looked at as any different then a fowl (fish only with live rock) setup. They are messy eaters and will still need good filtration, much more then a canister filter can provide. A good protein skimmer will remove your excess nutrients and a decent cleanup crew will eat up the waste, instead of trying to filter it out with canisters and sponges.

This is just my opinion as I said I'm by no means a cuttlefish expert, just don't see the reason to go backwords technology wise compared to other marine animals.

killifish,
The best research I can suggest would be to look at the Journals and Photos forums and identify long time cuttle keepers. Many of their journals will have information about the filtration on their tanks or they will have posts in the tank talk forum discussing what they have found to work best. Cuttlefish care and our Articles section both have good information about setting up a cuttle tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back