• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Not Attached to Yoke?

Hey guys,
I've been peaking a few looks at my new eggs with a flashlight, and I'm very excited to say that at least 7 of my 15 dwarf cuttle eggs I ordered are viable. Ive noticed that in all of the viable eggs, I can see the cuttlefish in the egg attached to what i believe is the yoke. This is true for all of the viable eggs, except one. In one of the eggs, the baby cuttle isn't attached to the yoke, it is just kind of next to it, without touching. Is this bad?

I was thinking that maybe the baby was getting ready to hatch, but it is possible that the baby died inside the egg. I would not touch the egg, just let it be for now. How big is the yolk compared to the size of the baby cuttle?

Anything really, not all cuttlefish eggs make it to maturity. When a female cuttlefish lays 200 eggs, not all are going to survive. If they did, we would be quickly overrun by cuttlefish (although that wouldn't be a bad thing... :smile:).

With a yolk that large, the baby wasn't ready to hatch. The yolk will shrink as the embryo matures.

So it is most likely that the cuttle has died, given the detachment from the yolk and the now clouded egg? And if that's the case, I shouldn't remove the egg? Why not?
Thanks for all the help. Luckily I have 14 other eggs, (6 inflated with cuttles/yolk).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back