cuttle lagoon

hobogato

O. vulgaris
Registered
hello all, been a while since i posted here. here is a link to my old journal:

cuttles and clams thread

sadly, that little guy did not make it and in june of this year, i took a break from the hobby. thankfully, i have decided to come back by setting up a larger version of that tank in the linked journal.

the only difference now, it is a 150 gallon tall rimless tank that will be all biological filtration. it will even be lit by sunlight from solar tubes.

i will be growing all kinds of macro algae and some mangroves for now. in a couple of months i will be looking for some captive raised S. bandensis to add. down the road i will keep some lower light corals and possible a clam or two.

here is my progress so far:

stand i built to match other furniture in our house- only 20" tall
DSC05303.jpg

brought the tank home yesterday
DSC05304.jpg

added DSB and water as well as molding to finish it out
DSC05305.jpg

DSC05306.jpg

this morning the water was nice and clear thanks to my home made water clearer upper - that plastic container with a powerhead and some foam
DSC05308.jpg

DSC05307.jpg

here it is after adding the 100 or so pounds of LR - water clouded up a bit again
DSC05309.jpg

DSC05310.jpg

Love it!

Is the clam tank still functioning? I really want another clam but the only tank I have with proper lighting (new, the original almost started a fire so when we replaced it we went halide) is home to Slither, my little mantis. I thought about asking Roy if a clam was viable after the lighting upgrade but I had a regular feeder clam I could put in the tank and got my answer in a couple of days. Slither investigated it immediately but it took a couple of days to wack the large hole in the shell and kill it. Oddly he did not eat much of the clam :roll:

thanks for the comments all

d - no, i sold off all of my old setup in june. the clam tank went to a fish store that resold it, so i dont even know who ended up with it. gotta love the mantis, we had one in a small acrylic tank i built for a while.

bluespot - i am not planning on any constant mechanical filtration. i will likely run carbon every so often to clear up the water as it will start to get a slight green tint because of the DSB (about 6" deep) and all of the macroalgae. since i am using solar tubes to light it, that macroalgae and the mangroves that it will also have should grow really well and i will harvest to remove nutrients. i know this seems an odd way to set up any tank, but my large reef ran with no mechanical filtration for over 6 months before i took it down and it was very successful.

thanks, been reading about legs and other cephs here in journals and i am really starting to get excited about keeping the bandies again. added two mangroves and some various types of macroalgae. snails will be added in a few weeks and hopefully some captive born/raised cuttles a few weeks later. i am going nice and slow to make sure the tank is cycled well, even tho it was live sand from various tanks and very established liverock.

thanks noah :smile:

well, i added a couple of mangroves and a little macroalgae and a couple more small pieces of liverock. i am gonna add one more mangrove some other types of macroalgae - especially the two red ones.

since the water is nice and clear now, here are a couple of pics

DSC05311.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

thanks for the comments

ok, had to redo the rocks a bit as i glued them in place. also added three mangroves and several species of macroalgae yesterday. today, i added two recessed halogen lights for night time viewing when necessary

the tank
DSC05326.jpg

DSC05325.jpg

DSC05324.jpg

DSC05323.jpg

the new lights - still have some finish work to do on the ceiling
DSC05327.jpg

DSC05329.jpg

the tank at night
DSC05333.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back